𝘀𝗶𝘅. the land of the living

Start from the beginning

         "Haymitch isn't here," Katniss answered, her voice filled with animosity. Esther was inspired by Katniss's self-confidence, but, altogether, it made the blonde worry when she thought they'd have to sleep near each other during the night, leaving them defenceless of each other. Esther hoped that Katniss wouldn't make the first move, knowing she and Finnick were to remain loyal to their alliance.

         Atlas, though, Esther was still unsure about. The boy rolled his eyes at the bickering between Katniss and Finnick, abruptly standing up, everyone's eyes following the boy tightly hanging onto his daggers. "We got to keep moving before the sun sets, get deeper into the forest and, if we're lucky, find some fresh water before anybody else doesgives us the advantage."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

                  Just as Atlas suggested, the group headed deeper into the forest, again with Finnick hanging back, but Esther was in front alongside Peeta. Katniss passed the machete over to Peeta, lashing the weapon forward to create a clear path for their travels. A silence roamed around themalmost comforting as they heard the sway of trees, briefly hearing the false sounds of crickets chirping. Being surrounded by water her whole life, the ocean was Esther's safe place, but the forest held an excitement that intrigued Esther.

However, her interest was set on Peetaseeing the softness in his expressions, already getting an idea of how kind the boy was than what he was seen on camera. "I saw what you did in your games," Esther shyly mentioned, breaking the silence, not wanting to bring up such a vivid and dark time in Peeta's life. "I mean about the time when you somehow disguised yourself after someone hurt you. It was smart and, not to mention, impressive. How'd you learn how to do that?"

Peeta chuckled, remembering how Esther was only a kid, finding things more interesting that might seem insignificant to others. She was only sixteen and had to participate in the games a second time during her years of living. "My family owns a bakery back at home. Learned a few things here and there." Peeta saw how Esther's face lit at the mention of the bakery, the girl wondering how comforting it'd be to wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread. "If you want, I could teach you when we get out of here."

Despite Peeta's words being warming, Esther switched her eyes to peer at the floor. It wasn't until he noticed the lack of reply from the teenager that he noticed what he said was wrong. There was no 'we' getting out of the games, now with there being only one victor, which Esther highly doubted was going to be her. Peeta had the higher chance between them, and so did Finnick, Katniss and Atlas.

Between them, Esther would barely get a blow in before her life would slip out of her hands. "You know, maybe something like last year will happen," Peeta suggested, reciting how last year they allowed the partners from the same district ( it being Katniss and Peeta ) to make it out alive together.

Esther shook her head, knowing something miraculous like the stunt the Capitol pulled last year wouldn't happen again. "No, it's not. You know that as much as I do, but thank you, Peeta. For wanting to teach me. Maybe in another life?" Everyone knew that last year's games had caused a change within the districts, even if no one audible vocalised iteveryone knew it. Something was different, and Esther wished she knew what it was that changed.

"In another life." Peeta nodded his head, letting the solemn silence consume the two as they progressed through the forest, side-by-side. Being distracted by the thoughts rummaging their heads, Esther and Peeta barely heard the warning calls coming from Katniss, not giving the two enough time to react when a sudden slash of Peter's blade threw the two back from a strong impact of a forcefield. Finnick immediately grew worried, hastily making his way to his sister, not comprehending the calls of Katniss saying Peeta wasn't breathing as the woman rushed to her husband's side.