𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻. nightmares become reality

007

007. nightmares become a reality
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

NIGHT CASCADED UPON THEM, THE MOONLIGHT GLISTENING THROUGH THE CANORY OF TREES. Being at the edge of the arena, Katniss figured out by climbing the biggest tree, quickly realising the arena was a dome protected by forcefields, which meant there would be no fresh water. Their best bet was to set up camp for the night and return to their search in the morning as Finnick suggested, yet the archer had been reluctant on the idea—only agreeing when she was to take the first watch of the night.

         Even with Esther being able to fall asleep for a little bit whilst being carried on Finnick's back from the impact the forcefield had on her, Finnick glanced over to where his sister lay and felt comforted seeing her asleep. She was still exhausted, the lack of sleep finally catching up to the blonde. Atlas was wide awake, lying on his side, ignoring the conversation happening between Katniss and Finnickhis hearing catching on to the words: Peeta and Esther, probably discussing how they were after being struck.

         However, what caught Atlas's undivided attention was the sound of the Panem anthem filling the silence surrounding the forest, glancing up at the sky where the faces and District numbers of the fallen tributes played. Esther awoke, flinching at the sound harshly before realising where she wasit wasn't her first game, but it was her second. She was with Finnick, Katniss, Peeta and Atlas, and right now, that's what mattered most.

         Atlas's eyes grew stern at the female tribute from his District being a part of those who were gonegone by his hands. He switched his gaze to Esther, the reason he had killed the woman, knowing that he'd do it again if given a chance. Atlas didn't know why his gut yearned to protect the blonde, but if the boy learned anything, it was to not ignore his instincts.

         "Eight." Everyone heard Katniss mutter, her eyes darting to the floor once the pictures had faded back into the night sky, silence following in pursuit. To the group's dismay, none of those who had fallen were a part of the Careers pack, inevitably being their most challenging opponents. However, not long after the anthem, the beeping that all of the tributes knew played in the air, their heads lifting in hope.

         Esther bit back the smile wanting to lift on her face at the sight of the parachute with a metal canister tied to the end dropping down near them, meaning a sponsor gifted them an item that could potentially aid in their survival, such as the trident Finnick had been gifted during his games, which then he passed down to Esther. Katniss was the first to stand, carefully inching towards the canister, unravelling the parachute from its opening. "'Drink up'?"