Twinkles

I couldn't stop thinking about that night, and I didn't want too. The next morning no one found us as far as I know. On the Fourth of July I went over to the Rodriguez household. Squints went to  Yeah-Yeahs like usual.

(RED HIGH TOP CONVERSE WITH DRAWINGS AND STAR NECKLACE)

I spent the whole day over there, partly to hang out with Benny, but also since we were babysitting Willow. Thea and Otto had errands to run; plus Thea was making a macaroni salad for this 4th of July potluck thing our block does. Willow slept in today so she could see the fireworks, or the twinkles as she calls them.

(Fun fact I said the same thing when I was a baby. Just for kicks occasionally I still do cause my family and boyfriend think it's cute.)

The whole day was filled with me reading to the both of them. A kiddy book for Willow, and part of IT for Benny. Both of them fell asleep, Benny for only a few minutes while I was reading. Willow fell asleep for another 3 hours, she really wanted to see the twinkles. Benny woke up when I put the book down and tried to get up. The two of us were on the floor of his room on our stomachs.
"Where are you going?"
"Your parents are home and I want to know if they need anything."
"They'll call us if they do."
"Well I also want to tell them Willy went down for her nap fast."
__________________________________
The night began with everyone being outside eating some damn good food. Like usual Thea Rodriguez had the best dish there. The smalls weren't outside. I got Willow changed just before we all went outside and I got my Walkman on my jeans.

"It's time." Benny told me getting up, I nodded. I was about to put Willow down but she clung to my shirt.
"Mrs. Rodriguez, can I bring Willow to the night game? I have headphones and ear plugs for her to wear, and if she comes I won't let her out of my sight and I won't play."
"If it were anyone else I'd say no but it's you and I trust you so yes. Just be back in at most two hours." She told me dead serious. I nodded and yelled for Benny.
"Benny grab my bag!" I yelled as Willow tried to be a monkey on my shirt as we ran to the sandlot. 

The night game was special, very special. It's the one night a year where we can all feel like big shots. Well I know Benny always did, and we all know he's going to go pro, and I wanna be there with him.

When we made it to the sandlot I put my Walkman headphones onto Willow so it's not too overwhelming for her. I laid down my towel that I didn't use from earlier and sat Willow down on it. I had it by the dug out so she wouldn't get hit.  It was fun to see the guys playing, my god I want to play but I also wanted to hang out with Willow. If I took my eye off her for even a second then she'd be covered in dirt or something. During the game the show was going off and Willow was clapping with her little 3 year old clap. All the boys were watching the show as well

After Benny ran the bases he sat next to me and Willow. I laid my head on his shoulder and he FINALLY after all these years watched the show.
"I see why Willow and the guys like the fireworks."

"The twinkles?"
"Fine the twinkles." He groaned.
For the next couple minutes all we could see was fireworks shooting across the night sky.
"Happy Fourth of July Benny."
"Happy Fourth of July Y/n." Willow started babbling nonsense in response to us. She had some spit coming down from her chubby little cheeks. I used a napkin to wipe it off.
Something flowed through my veins, a sense of craziness.

I kissed Bennys cheek.