Prologue

The boy hated parties.

Well, that wasn't entirely true. He just didn't know how to enjoy them properly.

He didn't know how to partake in the dancing and joyful conversations, or how to laugh when people slammed their drinks on the ground and shouted, "Another!", or how to get invested when people told legends and stories.

He especially didn't know how to talk to children his age. There weren't that many, anyway. And he also didn't like the children that were around him. Any chance of really befriending them was stolen from him when they became friends with his brother, Thor.

That was harsh. He loved his brother dearly, and he was friendly with the other children, but when Thor had captured their attention, he gave up any sort of hope he had about getting close to them.

The thing about Thor was that he was too loud, too overly confident and cocky. He was too rash and impulsive for the boy's liking. The boy was more reserved and cunning. He thought things out when he made mischief or any sort of trouble, and he would get even better at it once his mother started teaching him magic.

But even when he planned out his pranks, he always seemed to get caught by his father, or by Heimdall, the keeper of the Bifrost who saw everything, who would always very rudely rat him out to his father.

He had stopped his pranking at parties. He always got in trouble when he released frogs in the ballroom or stole a cake from one of the tables, so he decided to just sulk in the shadows until the party ended.

That is, until one fateful night.

His father, Odin, had invited the elite forces of Asgard's army to celebrate the realm's newest general, who went by the name of Frode Ragnarsson. The boy prepared for another night of boredom and invisibility.

While the people enjoyed themselves and indulged in the festivities, the boy hid in the shadows like he always did, staring out somewhat longingly at Thor and his friends, who were laughing so loudly they could be heard from all around the room.

The boy sighed. Even though the party had just started, he was already bored.

Until he saw something out of the corner of his eye.

He turned his attention to a girl who seemed around his age, maybe a little younger. She was sitting on a bench in a dark corner of the room like he was. She seemed like she was trying her best not to be noticed.

But the boy noticed things that most people didn't.

The girl had long brown hair and green eyes. But her eyes lacked a spark, and it seemed like she didn't want to be there.

The boy tilted his head a little, growing curious. He had never seen this girl in his life. He was sure that he already knew the only children around his age. The ones he was allowed to be around, anyway. Who was she?

Had Thor already approached her? No, not yet. When Thor approached people, he charmed and befriended them pretty quickly. But the girl didn't want to be noticed, and, as far as the boy could tell, she hadn't been noticed by anyone. Other than him, of course.

He turned his gaze back to where Thor and his friends were, just in time to see them run off and get lost in the crowd of people.

He found himself looking at the girl again. The boy grew nervous and a little bit hopeful. What'll happen if I approach her? He thought. He looked around the room, searching for his father. After a while, he caught sight of his father and mother talking to the new general. His father seemed occupied enough. He wouldn't notice him.

Once again, the boy shifted his attention back to the girl. He debated for a long time until finally, he decided to approach her. With a few deep breaths, he slowly stood up.

But just as he was about to walk towards her, she glanced around the room, stood up, and walked out.

He was disappointed at first, but curiosity took over his mind. He followed her, wondering where she was headed.

When he walked out of the room, he was surprised to see that a window was cracked open just wide enough for a little girl to climb out of it.

The boy couldn't help but laugh. Had she...?

He approached the window to look through it and, sure enough, the girl was outside, walking towards a cliff where you could perfectly see the sunset. He looked back at the party to see if he was followed. He hadn't been. Slowly, he climbed out the window and walked towards the girl, who was now sitting on the cliff.

"People aren't supposed to be out here." Said the boy as he got closer. The girl gasped as she stood up and spun around. Her eyes grew wide and her mouth parted in surprise as she stepped back a little.

"I'm sorry, Your Highness." She burst out, her face going red.

The boy flinched a little. This girl immediately knew who he was.

Everyone knew who he was.

"I'd prefer it if you don't call me that." The boy said shyly as a little smile came to his face.

Recovering from her shock, she gave him a nod, then sighed. "I didn't think anyone would notice me." She said.

"I notice a lot of things." The boy replied.

An awkward silence surrounded them.

"You're not going to make me go back in there, are you?" The girl asked nervously.

"Oh no! I'd never." He laughed.

"Thank you." She replied, sighing in relief. She slowly turned back towards the setting sun and sat down. The boy walked over and sat next to her.

"I didn't want to come tonight." The girl confessed. "I'm happy for my father, I am. But I was so nervous, I was tempted to run and hide."

The boy's eyebrows rose a little. So this was the new general's daughter.

"I was afraid of talking to the people," she went on. "Especially children my age. Your brother and his friends are loud." She glanced at the boy. "No offense," she added.

"None taken," the boy replied, smiling a little. "My brother would talk all night if he was able."

The girl laughed and the boy's smile grew wider. He didn't think he could make anyone do that.

"I'm Loki, by the way." The boy said, extending his hand to her. Then he mentally slapped himself.  She already knew that.

"Sylvie." She replied, taking his hand and shaking it. Loki's smile grew wider as her name replayed in his head.

"I don't blame you for not wanting to come tonight," said Loki. "I never have any fun."

"Well..." Sylvie said slowly. "What do you do for fun?"

A smirk crept on Loki's face, and his eyes lit up with a mischievous spark.

Yes, I ship Sylvie and Loki. But don't worry, they're not the "same person" in this story, so try to forget about the canon storyline if you can.

Ahhhhh! I hope you like it...😣🫣

Blue 💙