Chapter Twenty-Two: What I have to go through at work. Everyday.

Start from the beginning

"Another day of doing your job." Leon sighed sarcastically.

"I hate my life." You muttered. "You're doing all the work this time after what happened in the dungeon."

"What's got you so worked up?" You look down at the veins that had ventured about two inches more up his arm, but he didn't notice. You didn't want to stress Ashley out more than she already was.

"My work. Get it? Because I'm worked up?"

"Come on." He said, rolling his eyes as he grabbed you by the back of your shirt and pulled you backwards away from the door as you snorted at your own stupid joke.

"Of course, we have to go through the difficult room." You say, taking out your pistol.

"Ashley, stay behind me." Leon said as you pushed the wooden double doors open, leading to a huge water hall. On either side, balconies looked over the main hall and there were 2 moats throughout the room. Interesting architectural choice, a great way to inconvenience everyone. There was also a lower floor, where you saw the wheel that would spin and hopefully bring down the bridge of the moat to get to the other side of the room.

It was a gruelling thought to know that you would have to kill everything in here and there was no way of getting out of it, otherwise, it would just inconvenience you more when the bridge was down and you would have to deal with the enemies from either side of the bridge.

Immediately, you both were bombarded with a group of ganados, their weapons varying from axes, swords, knives. You shot them multiple times and occasionally managed to dig your knife into their skull until the first bunch had left a crimson pile of bodies. On the 4th ganado you had encountered, upon landing the finishing bullet in its head, the mutation had splintered out of its skull when it exploded, whipping those fleshy, daggered arms at you instantly.

You had managed to narrowly dodge the swing and garner some distance, you heard a similar explosion next to you and looked to see the smaller group Leon was fighting had also mutated, Ashley getting cut in the process, being unable to move away in time. Instead of focusing on yourself, you pull out your rifle to finish off Leon's mutant with two shots and put it back on your back to save ammo.

Still clearing out your floor of the water hall as Ganado just continued to spawn endlessly, you just had your first encounter with the arrows. An arrow flies right by your face, you look in the direction it came from to see the crossbowed guards up on the balconies and feel a rip in your arm. You yell at the searing pain and look down at the arrow lodged into your arm. You shake your head trying to get yourself straight as the shock from pain starts to dizzy you and you pull out your rifle again, shooting each guard on the balcony down one by one. You grab Ashley's arm once they were all shot down and dragged her back out of the doors, closing them behind you and sitting on the floor to inspect your damage.

"Ugh... It hurts, fuck." You look up at Ashley, seeing the rip in her blouse, red blood seeping through it on her abdomen, you quickly get up and approach her. "Oh fuck, are you okay? Sit." You lift up her shirt when she sits and feel relief wash over you as you realise the cut is only shallow. Just a bit deeper than a paper cut, you take out your first aid kit and dab some anti-septic on it.

"Um... Y/n?"

"Does it hurt?"

"Yeah, and I really appreciate the concern but... Shouldn't you be worrying about yourself? There's an... Arrow... in your arm."

"That's not my main priority. It won't bleed until I take the arrow out." Leon busted through the doors a minute later while you were wrapping the bandages around her waist.