Prolouge

Rule Number 1: Discard your emotions. Emotions only detract from the mission.

Three years ago, the world was at war. The two sides, deeply rooted in their own ideals. But those ideals were just an excuse. The real reason for the fighting were the troves of humans chosen by combat-hungry spirits, who seemed to exist only to do battle with each other. Most of these humans were normal aside from their lust for combat, but there were some who were different. Some humans were chosen to wield the powers of the spirits that chose them. They were called "Enhanced".

It seemed like the world would be forever at war... But one day, all at once, the fighting ceased. On the battlefields, both sides stopped and stared at each other, confused. Like they had been possessed the entire battle. At the same time, a human born in Japan was celebrating their birthday.

A Mediator's power was starting to awaken.

Within that same year, the two sides reconciled almost all of their differences, and the world began to heal.

Now, the world was prosperous and peaceful. World governments got along more than ever before. Countries regularly held intercultural festivals as a way to solidify their bonds by allowing their citizens to experience different cultures on massive scales. Enhanced humans began using their abilities for the good of the people. Most worked on job sites, using their immense strength to their advantage. Some worked in search and rescue, using their stamina to take on large scale disasters.

Basically, the Enhanced went out of their way to do the jobs that normal humans would find either difficult or unpleasant if their affinity would allow it. But of course, there were still unpleasant characters in the world. Even the prospect of world peace wasn't enough to cleanse egos and narcissism.

Luckily, though, these characters were few and far between. On top of that, Enhanced humans went from being battle-hungry soldiers to protective and caring citizens. They were basically like a public police force. If they saw any kind of injustice, they wouldn't hesitate to step in and help. And they were well aware of their "superiority" over others. But instead of getting a big head, they ensured any force they had to use in self-defense situations was appropriate. They refused to do harm unless it was necessary. And 9 times out of 10, if they had to use force, authorities would unanimously agree that the Enhanced humans' judgment and level of force were justified.

Basically, the Enhanced knew when to hold back and how much. In fact, incidents in the last three years involving Enhanced being the aggressors could be counted on one hand.

Now, three years after the war ended, the Japanese government is fully aware that a single Enhanced person, the Mediator, is responsible for their current peace. Because a Mediator hasn't been in the world for almost a century (based on the world's now collective knowledge), no one knew what the Mediator could do or what their role was. All they knew was the awakening of their powers calmed the spirits of the Enhanced. So they knew the Mediator needed to be defended at all costs in order to preserve the peace.

Because of this, the United States Government offered its greatest assets to the Government of Japan as a token of good faith. These assets were on a Boeing 747-8 cargo plane currently flying over the Pacific Ocean bound for Yokota Air Force Base in Fussa.