I rubbed my face. Tears clogged up my throat. I didn't cry. I didn't want to cry. What good would it do?

"I'm sorry," Hunter whispered. "I should've found a way. Maybe I should've told you about it later. I don't know. It wasn't fair that you had to think I left you because I no longer loved you. I did. I still-"

"No," I cut him off. "No, you don't. You don't know me anymore, Hunter. I'm not the same person."

"Aren't you?" He mumbled, so low I could barely hear it. A deep sigh rattled his chest. "Do you forgive me?"

"There's nothing to forgive. It wasn't your fault. It wasn't mine. It was just... life. We're not meant to be."

I could feel the weight of his gaze on my face. I knew he wanted to argue. I could feel the weight of the words in the air between us. But he didn't.

"Come home with me," he said. "We can eat something. The dogs and Tux would be glad for some company."

I sighed. All I wanted to do was to curl up in my bed and sleep. No. That was a lie. I wanted a hug. But I knew if Hunter hugged me, I would break down. Hunter's hug would be a temptation I wasn't sure I could resist.

That was why I should go home.

I looked at him. "I'm on a strict diet."

"I know. I was in the farmer's market earlier. I got some of the things you liked from nonna Gabriella."

Surprise pierced through the layers of heavy emotions. "You did?"

"Yeah." He gave me a small smile, rubbing his cauliflower ear. "I don't know if it's going to be any good, though. I'm not a great cook. But I'll try."

Warmth flooded my chest. I really shouldn't. This was getting too close.

But after his confession, I had a feeling he didn't want to be alone as much as I did. And he'd gone through the trouble to get my favorite things from nonna Gabriella.

Just tonight. I'd cave in just tonight. I blew out a breath and started the car. "Fine. Show me the way."

I drove the car up the steep exit of the underground parking lot. The night street buzzed with life. Lights glittered on buildings and across shop fronts.

"Why now? After ten years?" I hesitated. "Did something happen to your father?"

"My father is alive and well. He knows better than to cross me now," he grumbled.

"Why then?"

"Something happened," he said, "to me."

I glanced at him. But he was was looking out the passenger side window. I quelled down my curiosity for now. We were both too raw from our glimpse into the past. Later. Maybe I'd ask him later.

"Why did you transfer schools back then?" I asked.

His sigh filled the car. "I wanted to convince my father that wanting a photography degree had been just a phase. And that I was already planning to break up with you even before he threatened me. He wanted me to transfer schools. To prove that I'm over you, I guess? I have no idea what was going through his damn head."

"And he just believed you?"

"Yep. I guess he never loved someone enough to ever doubt me," he said. "I just asked him for a few thousand dollars in exchange, and he bought the lies I fed him right up."

Yeah. He was the sort of person to believe Hunter would give it all up for money, because that was what he would've done.

"Anyway," Hunter said. "It worked out well for my plan, anyway. Staying in school and seeing you everyday would've been pure torture. It was also easier for you to forget about me that way. So I transferred schools."