Elsewhere and Elsewhen

Start from the beginning

"But the Collector may know how to make a real portal door. He may know why mine is so unstable. I just... I messed up so bad last time. I need to do better."

"Luz, I've got leg hair older than you. This Philip guy worked on his door for years. Try not to beat yourself up too much."
"Yeah. I just with I could go back in time and talk to him."

A sudden realization hits Luz. "Eda! Is time magic a thing?"
"Not really, but..."

Eda takes a book from the shelf titled "History's Top 10 Plot Holes".

"Back in the day, I was a bit of an urban-legend junkie. Twig Foot, Lenderman, possums..."
"Those are real."

"Yeah sure, kid. Anyway, there are stories about these things called time pools. Mythical puddles that act as windows into the past, but they're never in the same spot twice. Me and Lily used to search for them. She'd say I forced her into it, but I think she had more fun than me."
"Lilith! Of course! Thanks, Eda!"

Luz snatches the book off Eda's hands and runs off to find Lilith. In the kitchen, Lilith is busy making model balusters.
"Lilith!"

Luz suddenly emerges from behind Lilith and calls out her name, startling her.
"I see you're dealing with all this."
"I'm plotting out my first exhibit for the museum. It's almost as if the Emperor wanted Flora to tick me off. Well, I'll show her that she's not the only bad-girl historian in town. I'm thinking..."

Lilith takes out a board with information of Deadwardian balusters on it.

"The Architecture History behind Deadwardian Balusters".

Luz looks at the board and smiles awkwardly. A sudden realization hits Lilith.
"This won't work, will it?"
"Don't let Flora get you down! I even started calling you "Cool Aunt Lilith" in my journal."
"Uh, oh, really?"
"You can be a bad-girl historian. And I know how."

Luz shows Lilith the time pool section in Eda's book.
"Oh, I remember these! "In the Premysteric Era, it's theorized that coagulated Titan Blood mixed with the magical algae of the Boiling Sea created temporary holes in time."

"Time magic, baby! You can make an exciting exhibit on time pools, and maybe I can get information on how Philip made the portal door!"
"I... did cobble together a device to find these with Eda. It should be in the box Flora returned to me. But it was faulty. It needed more power than I could ever give it."

Luz suddenly realizes something. "Stay right there!"
Luz runs off to do something. Lilith and her palisman look at each other and the latter shrugs. Something crashes to the ground, making a loud noise. Luz runs back to the kitchen holding Amity's glove.

"Would Titan Blood do the trick?" Lilith looks at her board.
"Let's do it!"

With the device now working, Luz and Lilith set off to find the time pools. At sunset, Luz climbs up a tree and holds up the device, sending energy to its reading instrument.

At night, Lilith's palisman flies back with a piece of leaf with an unknown substance on it. Eventually, on the second day, Lilith manages to narrow down the location.

"Don't worry, Luz, we're getting closer. I can feel it."
Lilith swings her knife into a tree beside her. She takes a piece of tree bark and drops it into her device's test tube to test it.

"Ha! Exactly what I thought. These are wrinkling oaks."
"They don't look very wrinkly."
"That's because something's keeping them locked in time. So, accounting for local plague patterns, the quake in the '30s, and the switch from boiling units to the empirical system, the time pool should be... here!"

Lilith finds the location to be a beach and becomes disappointed.
"But... I triple-checked all my calculations. My equipment is first-rate!" She suddenly trips on something and almost falls down. "Stupid rock!" She kicks the sand.