My Crazy Best Friend

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

As I tried to take my first step of courage, I was instantly stopped as someone tried to talk to me.

I was stopped by the girl I sat next to on the bus.

"You were looking at me a while ago. Why?" she said with a firm look.

"Sorry. I was just a bit interested. Whatever the reason, you didn't have any thoughts of giving up your seat to the old woman, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, I didn't want to give up my seat. What's wrong with that?"

"No, it's just that I thought the same thing. I also didn't have any intention of giving up my seat. I like to stay out of trouble; I don't like being concerned with such things."

"Stay out of trouble? Don't compare me to you. I didn't give up my seat because I did not feel any sense in giving up the seat to an old woman."

"Doesn't that make you worse than him?"

A familiar voice called out. It was Kaneko. I didn't see Kushida with her. Maybe she went on ahead.

"I don't know. I'm just acting on my own beliefs. It's different from people who avoid troublesome things like him. I don't want to spend time with people like him. By the way, aren't you the one who gave up your seat? Why did you do that? There's no merit for you to do so."

I was also interested to hear her answer. There was nothing in it for her. So why did she do that?

"Hmm? Beacause I wanted to."

What?

Just because she wanted to?

That's her reason?

"I can do whatever I want. What is it to you?"

Isn't that what I am after? Doing what I want to do? Isn't that what freedom is? Maybe I should be friends with her. To understand freedom better.

"So you are an idiot. You gave up your seat even when you knew that there would be no merit in doing so."

The black haired-girl looked convinced of this.

"Do you have a superiority complex or something? You are so condescending! Don't you see that you are scaring that poor guy?"

What?

"What did you just say?!"

It seems like the superiority complex-girl is now turning red.

"Ah, ah, are you now trying to imitate a tomato?" Kaneko said while smirking.

The superiority complex-girl turned even more red than before and stormed off but not before doing a 'hmph!'

"Bye, bye!"

I was now left alone with Kaneko. This is the perfect time to make friends with her.

For the first days after the entrance ceremony, students must make friends in order to enjoy the rest of their school life.

If someone fails at this task, it is said that a miserable three years awaits them.

Following my principle of avoiding trouble, I think it would be best to make some friends and establish decent human relationships.

Kaneko seems like the perfect candidate to make friends with. She seems to understand and practise freedom very well, which I also want to understand and do. And she seems very friendly and sociable. She will have a vast network in the school.

She will definitely be of use to me in the future.

My first tool.

Now for the hard part. How to go about this interaction?