What Do You Want?

SUMMARY: When Sylvie asks Mobius what he wants, he ends up admitting the truth about WHO he wants.

[S2 spoilers, Angsty and a pretty long fic]

-

   Loki's absence struck a strange chord with Mobius. His time at the TVA had largely been focused on researching and monitoring that particular variant, and so to not have him here was odd. Who knew he would actually form a beautiful friendship with the god himself, and end up being more attached to him than he has ever been. All the times they shared together meant so much to the agent even if he doesn't show or say it. He watched the god of mischief grow into the person he was supposed to be, creating a new name for himself.

If Mobius was being honest, he could imagine Loki being part of his future, fighting alongside him until the end. He knew the Asgardian had so much purpose and potential to be something better. At the end of the day, that faith came true as he watched Loki bear the weight of the timelines as they returned to life in his hands and then fading away to a place Mobius would likely never see again. As fate would have it, that was the last time he laid eyes on Loki, and it may well have been the last time he ever would.

Thoughts were running through his head, the absolute guilt he felt watching him slip through his fingers. They didn't even have a proper goodbye which made Mobius wonder how long Loki had been planning his sacrifice and how he wished he had notice beforehand. No consolation could help the grieving man and even as he sat beside Sylvie in the bar which she invited him to, he couldn't actually enjoy anything.

The taste of his fries were bland, the alcohol in his hand was bitter and the cheerful music playing through the speakers was simply just a background distraction to Mobius. Clearly he was not doing good and Sylvie could see it.

"Hey, you good?" She asked with a soft tone.

"I'm surviving. I'm alright." Clearly lying through his teeth as he took another sip from his glass.

Sylvie shook her head knowing Mobius was lying, "What's wrong? Look, we should celebrate this, Mobius. For Loki, for everybody. Here you are, looking glum with a sad thunder cloud above you."

"Sad thunder cloud? That's funny because the weather seems to be a hot sunny one considering I'm sweating a lot over here. Did you know, Ohio can be scorching hot sometimes?" Mobius was clearly changing the topic which he loves to do so often. Sylvie caught that out and sighed, only wanting to help out her friend.

She got the bartender to bring them more drinks in hopes he will eventually be drunk enough to confide in her and slowly she was seeing progress. "I know I'm not ideally someone you would want to get advice from, I have my own stuff that I need sorted out but I think I can try. In my time on here, I've learned to be quite a good listener."

"It's nothing, seriously. And you know what, you're right. We should be celebrating at our win. Tell your friend to get us more drinks, yeah."

"No, I don't think Loki would want to see you celebrating like this. Not like this." When she said that, she realized the way Mobius reacted. The way he shut his eyes for a few seconds as his hands turned into a fist. She started connecting the dots and found a way to engage with her friend.

"What do you want, Mobius?" She asked him the exact question she had asked Loki when he was the one opposite her at the bar. She found that question a great ice breaker and probably a good way to help someone figure out their shit. She was hoping Mobius could figure his.

The man shrugged, already looking drunk as he rested his head on his hand. "I don't know. I could really use for another one of this drink."

"You had enough, now tell me, what do you want? What you really want?"