five

Isobel

Isobel

I groggily woke up back in my room. The familiar scent of Chanel N5 made my headache worse than slamming into that brick wall.

Why was I home?

I shot up to see Paris at the foot of my bed, growling protectively. In the dark, the orange and black masked man lounged in my reading chair with his legs spread open.

Mansplaining seemed right up his alley.

Ick.

"Welcome back, Princess," he spoke. "Had a fun nap?"

"I wouldn't call knocking me out a nap," I spat. "Asshole."

"Ooh, baby, you got a cute little nasty mouth on you." He chuckled, standing up and walking closer to the bed. Paris barked aggressively, bouncing back from how forceful she was being. "Cute dog." He pulled out his gun and aimed it at her.

I gasped in fear, scooping her into my arms. "Please! Please, not my dog." I begged, shielding her from his gun. He tightened his grip on the gun before scoffing. "I won't shoot your dog," he grumbled, putting his gun back into his holster.

I motioned for Paris to go under the bed like I trained her to. She hesitantly jumped off the bed and hid underneath. Suddenly, he grabbed me by my hair again and yanked me out of bed. "Let's go."

He dragged me down the stairs and right to where my father was. The house was destroyed and ninja bodies were knocked out everywhere. "Isobel!" Dad shouted as he tried to get up. The guy in the mask threw me right in front of Dad as I groaned. "You son of a..." He was hit in the stomach by the butt of a rifle by a man in a red mask.

"Shut up," he growled.

Dad looked up, coughing up blood as he did, making me flinch. "Deathstroke," he grunted. "I thought you were dead." He growled, eyes narrowed.

"Oh, he is." He placed his hand under my chin, cupping it and holding me in place. He was taunting my dad. "I had to take his place because you killed my mother."

I looked at my dad in confusion. "You killed someone?"

"No, I didn't," Dad grunted.

I stared at my dad in utter disbelief. This had to be a dream; it couldn't be real.

Deathstroke casually stroked my chin with a tilt of his head. "She doesn't know, Batman?"

The tension in Dad's jaw gave away the truth, and a chill ran down my spine. My heart sank, and my mind spun. Dad was Batman... all this time? Above me, I heard Deathstroke sigh while cupping my chin again. "I know this must be hard for you, Princess, but secrets can't stay in the dark for long." He looked at Dad. "Admit it," he started, his hand tightening around my throat. I gasped in surprise.

"Let go of her!" Dad shouted, but the hand on my throat only tightened further.

"Admit it!"

"I am!" Dad yelled. "Stop!"