"It's now time for a few words from our principal." I gathered my notes and walked off the stage, taking my seat next to the valedictorian on the front row. It felt like a massive weight had been lifted off of me and I could finally breathe again. Though the relief was short lived. It was replaced by the feeling of someone watching me. I looked around me and really paid attention to all the people in the stands.

Movement caught my eye and naturally drew my attention. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My dad was standing at the railing, staring straight at me. Why was he here? I didn't tell him or Mom that I was graduating tonight. In fact, I didn't tell them on purpose. I didn't want him here. He was probably going to beat me some more when I got home. I didn't want him to do anything else to me. 

Then again, I did say I was working tonight and Mr. Milton closed the store for a couple of hours for my graduation. All that spelled for me was something worse.

Maybe it was because I was dreading going home, but the rest of the ceremony seemed to fly by. Especially when the valedictorian was giving her speech. She turned around and vomited right on the stage. It was memorable, but in a gross way. 

After the stage was cleaned and the ceremony finished, parents and friends were allowed to mingle with the class. I didn't have to wait long for Mr. Milton to find me, along with Thelma and Mrs. Milton and, surprisingly, Brayden. Brayden, who gave me a hug when he saw me. 

"You did a good job," he said into my hair before releasing me. 

Mr. and Mrs. Milton chuckled at his display. "You did a good job," Mr. Milton said as his wife lovingly put her hands on his shoulders. He reached up and pat her hand. "We're very proud of you."

"My dad was here," I said, turning more towards them than Brayden. "Did you see him?"

They shook their heads after giving each other a long look. "I can't imagine why Marvin would come, even if he knew," Mrs. Milton said. "He doesn't like events like this with big crowds."

He didn't like me enough to come was what they actually meant, I knew. It wasn't a shock to me, and I wasn't hurt. That was just a truth that I'd known for years, after all. They weren't bursting a bubble. The only one I expected to react was Brayden, but he didn't. He just looked sad. Like he felt sorry for me. 

Why wasn't he surprised?

I frowned as I watched him for a few seconds. He avoided my gaze. Something must have changed on my face because the Miltons exchanged another gaze. They'd said something to him about my situation. Well, it was probably for the best. It just helped my cause. I needed him to feel sorry enough for me that he'd take me to Lincoln or somewhere. 

Fingers nudged mine and a hand took mine. I looked down and found Brayden trying to hold my hand. I let him since we were surrounded by people who saw us at prom together. We weren't ever going to be a couple, not truly. Still, I couldn't deny that his touch was doing things to my heart. 

"I'm ready to go," I said. The family nodded and led me off the field as Thelma gave me a side hug.

"He's a good one," she said in my ear before patting my back and walking on. 

I flushed. Why was I getting an endorsement from Thelma of all people? 

We held hands all the way to Brayden's car. He led me around to the passenger side and opened my door. Once I was in, he closed it and went around to his side. I waited for him to get on the road before questioning him. 

"Your parents told you about my home life, didn't they?" I asked. "I already told you a bit. Why did you need to know more?"

He was silent for a moment. "Yes, they did tell me. I thought I already told you that you're worth knowing. Why are you so upset, anyway? I thought you'd be glad you wouldn't have to tell me all of it yourself."

I turned to him, shocked at his reasoning. "Did it ever occur to you that maybe I wanted privacy? That maybe I wanted to tell you what I thought you needed to know as you needed to know it?"

"Would it have been hard for you?"

I blinked at the abrupt change. "Well, yeah, but that's just part of telling someone you're close to. I never said we were close."

He ran a hand through his hair. "For the record, my parents found out you were beat over the check. Your dad showed up drunk on their doorstep the next day and began shouting at them. They just told me last night. I didn't demand to know everything or anything like that. I saw him there and asked what it was about, so they explained it to me. Said I'd probably find out sooner or later."

I faced forward and watched the road. They weren't wrong. I probably would have told him, but not any time soon. Probably after we were out of Rapid Falls where I knew he wouldn't run across my dad any time soon. After I was sure of how much I trusted him. "Why did he show up to shout at them?" Might as well ask since he knew everything anyway.

"I don't really know. They didn't tell me much about it. All they said was that he showed up drunk, shouting about your check, and they got him to leave. I don't know anything else about that. I didn't ask."

Well, that was fair, I supposed. "One more week," I said as I looked over at him. "Then we'll both leave here, right?"

He glanced at me. "One more week."

"Promise that we'll leave here?"

"I promise."