🌸

It was a cold snowy afternoon in New York. Cold was an understatement; the weather today was truly killing the metropolitan city's residents. Thick snow covered buildings and streets like a blanket. It looked soft, but if you made it your body's blanket, you would freeze to death.

Ice crystals continued to fall from the sky like rain, so Wooyoung used an umbrella as he walked out of his house. He had prepared a lot of food supplies before the snowfall, but it turned out to be insufficient and ran out before its time. So, he reluctantly went out to buy more.

As expected, all the stores were closed. He kicked a pile of snow nearby out of frustration. Okay, he still had some food reserves, but very little. In this situation, he might have to go to Yeosang's house and ask for a little mercy.

While passing between two buildings enclosing a small alley, he saw someone sitting shivering in the alley. Curious, he entered the alley and approached the man, whose head was covered in snow.

"Hey, are you okay?" Wooyoung asked as he crouched down, sheltering the man.

"Help me..." he said with a shivering voice that Wooyoung could feel. The man had bruises on his face, and there was some blood on his slightly torn lip.

"Why are you here? Where's your home? Can I take you home?"

The man immediately shook his head frantically, as if scared of something.

"I'm Wooyoung, what's your name?"

"San..."

"Okay, San, come with me."

San looked at Wooyoung hesitantly, but Wooyoung's bright smile broke that hesitation. So, in the end, he nodded in agreement.

Wooyoung tried to help San stand, but it seemed like San's legs were numb, frozen. Eventually, Wooyoung gave him a piggyback ride. San felt uncomfortable, but he had to go along with it. Well, what could he do?

Wooyoung had to hold and support San with both hands, so San held the umbrella for both of them. He also wrapped one of his hands around Wooyoung's neck.

"Hold on tight." Wooyoung could feel San nodding. And so, he carried San to his house.

Inside the house, Wooyoung treated San's wounds, not only on his lips. Because San had whip marks that were still wet on his chest, stomach, arms, and back. San winced in pain, even though Wooyoung was very careful.

Wooyoung gave San his clothes to wear because San's clothes were too cold and dirty. So, Wooyoung quickly put them in the washing machine while San felt warmer. Besides wearing new clothes, he also sat covered in a blanket on Wooyoung's comfortable bed.

"My parents are on duty out of town. But they'll be back tomorrow."

San didn't respond, just silent while slowly sipping the hot chocolate Wooyoung gave him.

"Wanna talk to me?"

San remained silent for a moment before finally agreeing to share his story.

He had escaped from his husband who constantly abused him relentlessly. He couldn't go back to his parents' house because they had handed him over to that cruel man as collateral for their accumulated debts. Sharing this made San remember and cry.

Hey, it's okay. Don't worry. You can stay here for a while. I'll take care of you. We'll think about the best way out of all this later."

"Isn't it too much trouble? I'll surely be a burden to you."

"I don't mind. Don't worry; everything will be fine, okay?"

San nodded and returned Wooyoung's reassuring smile.

"Now, go to sleep. I'll wake you up when dinner is ready."

He helped San lie down carefully and covered him with a blanket.

"Wooyoung."

"Yes?"

"Thank you..."