Sixteen

Peony woke to the sound of a high pitched beeping. Something cool grazed her head and a bright light shone in her eyes. She blinked the sleepiness away and conscience began to fill her. There was a lingering sting in her shoulder which made her wince when she tried to sit up and a small cord attached to her skin, feeding her oxygen.

A pair of hands enveloped her, cutting her air off. She gasped and clawed weakly at the attacker.

"Oops!" A squeak sounded behind her. "I forgot about that."

Peony exhaled and met her brother's eyes. "Hey, Rikan."

"Mom! Dad!" Rikan was already running out of the room to alert everyone of her awakening. "She's awake!" It was only a split second before Sage came rushing in. Peony smiled as he threw his arms around her—softly, unlike Rikan. He was shortly followed by Cress and Thorne who gave her encouraging words and treats they had gotten at the local market.

"I know it's not as good as you make it but... we hoped it would cheer you up." So they had time to go to town and buy things. She must have been out for a long time.

Lastly we're her parents. Their hands were intertwined and her mother's head was leaned on her dad's shoulder. Relief was drawn onto their faces along with pride and a bit of mingled sadness.

"I'm so sorry, Peony." It was her dad that spoke up first. He let go of Cinder to crush her in an embrace. "I'm so very sorry. I hope you know how much I love you. I just... I don't want you to feel pressured. Ever."

Peony caught her mother's eye and she gave her a wink. "How long?"

Cinder smirked. "Easy as pie. No less than five minutes."

"Impressive. That's gotta be a record."

Cinder shrugged. "Eh. He was half dead so it made things easier."

Kai looked from one to another, confused. "What are you two talking about?"

Peony grinned and burst out laughing with her mom. "Should we tell him?"

Cinder beamed. "Nah. It'll be our little secret."

"What?"

"Nothing!" they chirped simultaneously.

"Both of you are coming to my competition, right?" Peony asked anxiously.

Kai's eyes softened immediately. "I wouldn't miss it for the stars."

*****

Rikan slowly backed out of the room, making sure that nobody would notice. It was good for his parents to catch up with his sister. To make her feel as better as she can be. After all, he'd watched as the doctors tore apart her burnt skin and replaced it with a synthetic one. Her eyes, her mischievous smile. Sometimes, Rikan wondered who was the older one. Sometimes, he felt as if he were the one responsible for her. But that skin grafting and torturing session had proved it. He was really no match for her Peony. No match for her superb cooking skills and quick thinking.

No. Rikan only had music and school. And sometimes, he felt that even that had turned its back on him. The only reason he had yelled at her that night was because he was jealous. She'd never told him—anyone, really besides his mother—about the little food stall she'd owned. She was so good at so many things... and he was good at none. He wanted to destroy the thing she loved. Her passion.

He wasn't trying to be caught. She just so happened to walk into him that day. And his "friends" weren't any better. They surrendered at the first sight of Her Highness. Then, when she snapped at him for being a nerd, he completely lost it. And now look at her. Rikan couldn't help but feel like this was all his fault.