Five

There were, of course, hundreds of different types of cloth that ranged from color to material to fancy shmancy assortments in the store. So it was no wonder that it took hours to pick everything out, load it all into the hover, take everything back out, and then put it all back in the Rampion.

"Thanks for the hand, Captain," Peony said, wiping sweat off her forehead.

"No problem. We actually make a pretty good team when we're not fighting." Thorne gave her a wink.

"Please don't bring that up. You won't tell her will you?"

"Of course not!" He looked slightly offended. "I would never ruin a surprise for my sweet Crescent Moon!"

"Well I'm making it so don't take all the credit."

"I won't take all the credit. Just most of it."

"Don't do that either."

"Fine." He rolled his eyes.

Peony glared at him until he backed up and went into the house. Then she herself went into her old room on the Rampion.

It would take a long time to finish, but Peony liked challenging projects, though she hadn't sewn for years. A simple lightweight dress should be easy enough. She just hoped that she could finish before July 18th, Cress's birthday. If she succeeded, then that would be great. If she didn't, then, well, let's just hope she succeeds.

For the past years, she had been getting clothes and shoes that were in trend, jewelry, makeup, and when she was much younger, dolls. So it was a big surprise when Peony ripped open the wrapping paper and found a plain wooden box from Iko on her 8th birthday. When she asked Iko what it was for, Iko just told her to open it and she found a complete set of needlework.

The first thing she had made was her apron. A simple, white apron. She was rather proud of it. Once she learned how to embroider, she added more things on it, little woks, spatulas, sauce glasses, salt shakers, and her name etched in gold thread at the top corner.

When her mother gifted her a handcrafted drone, she remodeled it and turned it into a delivering service. Instead of wasting her New Year's money on candy like the other kids, she spent it all on spices and cooking tools. When she was supposed to be studying in the palace, she was running about outside climbing trees. Yes, Peony had to admit that she was a rebellious girl but what did it matter? That was part of who she was.

So of course, her parents were thrilled when they found her in her room one day, sitting on the bed with a needle in her fingers. More like relieved that their daughter wasn't going to be a failure in life. Which she already was already so it made no difference.

Cooking was a no-go. But sewing was something that was tolerated by everyone. So that was what she did most of the time. And she got really good at it. That is, until she started her own business. Her skills had gone a little sloppy since then.

"Peony?"

The voice startled her. Thinking it might be Cress, she shoved everything under the bed and sat up just as the door opened. It was just Sage. "Thank god it's just you."

"Who did you think I was?"

"You're mother." She picked up the sewing needle again.

"What are you trying to hide from my mother?" Sage grinned slyly.

"Nothing illegal."

"Come on," Sage pouted, "I promise I won't tell."

Peony sighed. "It's a dress."

He paused and looked around. "I don't see a dress anywhere."

"That's because I'm making it, you idiot."

"You know how to sew too?"

Peony looked up. "I thought I told you that earlier."

"Well you said 'a little bit'."

"Should have been more specific. I was basically a professional up until two years ago."

"Why?"

"Because my parents tolerated it."

"Your parents don't tolerate cooking?"

"My father doesn't."

"Geez," Sage rubbed his head, "I guess being royal isn't so good after all."

Peony laughed bitterly. "I would rather be anything than royal."

"Even a peasant?"

"Am I a happy peasant?"

"Sure?"

"Then yes."

Sage looked concerned. "Isn't the palace a charming place?"

"Come live with me for a couple of days and you'll see exactly how charming it really is," Peony muttered, tugging on the thread.

"That's a good idea."

"What?"

"Well, it's our birthday in a couple of days, right? We can go to the palace, stay for a few weeks, and then come back for the summer."

"We'll see." She really didn't want to think about home right now. He said something else but Peony didn't quite catch it so she just grunted agreement.

"Peony? Peony!"

"I'm trying to focus here!" She snapped and winced. A sharp ache dug into her head. Tears sprung to her eyes and she quickly swiped them away. The pain came again and she crumpled to the ground, crying out. Sage was nowhere to be seen and a thick substance was soaking into the carpet. Aces, the walls were bleeding, red liquid dripping everywhere like a freshly painted house. Peony blinked and ran to the window. She had to jump out, to escape before it flooded the entire Earth, maybe Luna too. She didn't know. But she had to go, go before-

"Peony!" A hand grabbed her, pulling her backwards.

Peony didn't even dare see who did it, she just screamed and tried to yank her hand away. It didn't work, the person or creature or thing was far too strong. Peony screamed louder and started thrashing around. The blood was choking her. Or maybe it was the monster. Another headache was forming and it crashed against Peony's skull. Oh whatever. Just let her die already. At least she won't have to suffer anymore...

"Peony!"

Peony opened her eyes and saw that there were thin streams of blood trickling down her hand. The blood, the headache, all gone. She was back on the Rampion. Was she dreaming?

"Aces, Peony! What were you doing? Trying to jump out the window like that, it's dangerous!"

Peony sucked on the blood. "They were bleeding," was all she said.

Sage's eyes softened and he folded her into an embrace. Peony just cried silently, her forehead pressed to his chest.

"I'm just glad you're safe."

"Nowhere is safe," she mumbled. It was true. She had been too naïve before. How stupid she was, to believe that she could constantly escape danger. Or maybe she was the danger. "You can't trust anyone, anywhere, or anything. Nowhere is safe." She looked into his blue eyes, surprised to see a single tear slipping down his cheek.

"I know. That's why I'm going to protect you."

"You left me. I was alone in the hallucination," Peony whimpered.

Sage lowered his head. "Hallucinations try to scare you. Just remember, I'm always by your side. I will never leave you. I promise."

Stars, she wanted to believe him. "How do I know you're not lying? How do I know you won't break your promise?" her lower lip trembled.

"You don't. You just have to trust me."

Trust. More powerful than needs. More powerful than love. It was trust.

"I'll try."

"That's okay." Sage pecked the top of my head. "It's all I need to hear."