Two

Peony barely made it back in time from dinner. Her father had been surprised when Peony came rushing into the dining room where everyone was already seated. Thank the stars her white dress wasn't stained.

"Peony, sit." Kai gestured to the chair in front of him. Peony sat down. When they had begun to eat, her father asked, "May I ask where you've been?"

Peony shrugged. "Out."

Kai raised his eyebrows. "Where 'out'?"

"At mom's old mechanic booth." She had not yet told her father about her business

"Ah. That's where I met your mother."

"I know." Peony had heard the story of how her parents met more than a thousand times. Kai seemed to realize that and dropped the subject. An awkward silence filled the room.

"So... Do any of you have plans after school?" Kai tried again. Peony went to a public school. She had turned down the offer of having a private tutor because she hated the fact that she was the only one that would have one. She just wanted to be normal.

"I'm going to Coral's house."

"Oh?" Kai seemed to be relieved. "So you made a friend."

"Nah. We still hate each other. I'm just delivering some palace food to her mother."

Kai's expression faltered. "Oh. Um... Okay. How about you, Rikan?"

Rikan looked down at his food. "Grandparents day is tomorrow."

Peony saw her parents exchange a glance. She knew this would be happening.

"And if I don't participate, I won't get a grade for it," Rikan continued. "I told my teacher that my grandparents are all dead but he said I was lying. When I told him I wasn't, he just told me to figure it out myself. I don't want a bad grade! This is so unfair!" he wailed

Peony rolled her eyes. So this was what was bothering Rikan. "Relax, Rikan. Just make something up or don't do it. The grade doesn't really matter. Mom and dad will understand."

"No! I need that grade! Or else my buddies will tease me and call me a dumbell. It'll be embarrassing."

Peony groaned, annoyed. "For goodness sake, Rikan just deal with it! I did it! Did you see me complaining about a stupid grade?"

"Well first of all, I was four then so I don't remember and second of all, I actually care about my grades, unlike you!" Rikan yelled back.

"So you're calling me stupid," Peony challenged him.

"No. I'm not denying it either."

"You little—

"Drop it!" Kai cut in. "Peony, please go to your room."

Anger surged through Peony. "He was the one who started it and I get punished? How surprising!" Peony stomped out, slamming the door extra hard. She made her way to her room and opened the window. She needed to get out for a while. To calm down and breathe. Or she could run away. Peony grabbed her portscreen and climbed out the window just as she heard someone rattling with the doorknob.

Peony's first thought for hospitality was her mother's friend, Scarlet. She had three children, all somewhat close to her age. But she lived in France and the flight there would empty out her entire allowance. There was Winter, Cinder's step-cousin, but she and Winter's son had a long time rivalry that went back to when they were kids. Besides, they had found a home in Canada, which was even further than France. That left one person. Before she knew it, Peony was comming Captain Thorne. He had given her his number before. "Just in case," he had said. Peony liked the Captain. He was kind and funny. And he certainly won't lecture her.