Six

It took about an hour of consoling from Sage to calm Peony down. And after that one hour, Peony decided to sit down and observe herself in the mirror, which was nothing weird. She did it all the time at the palace. That was what she told Sage.

"I think the first thing you can do to get ready for homecoming is start calling the palace your home," Sage had said. It was good advice. But Peony wasn't going to do that.

People always told her that she had her father's body and her mother's mind and spirit. And half of the time, it was true. She had the same copper eyes as her father, which most people noticed right away. Her hair was straight and fine like her mother but also blackish-brown like the emperor, though nobody noticed the chestnut tint in her messy bangs, much like Cinder.

She'd also inherited her mother's slightly tanned skin and angular build which she was shamed by often. Frankly, Peony had no idea why people told her she looked like Kai.

It was true that she had Cinder's soul; strong willed yet level headed, stubborn but clever, and all the while, dedicated to her heart. But she was also kind hearted, humorous, and somehow open minded, traits of Kai. And sarcastic. Oh so very sarcastic.

"Did you hear a word I just said?" Sage was sitting on the floor, looking extremely exasperated.

"Nope."

Sage sighed and gave up. It would be pointless anyway.

"Hey, you remember when I asked you if you wanted pudding?"

"Yeah, why? Statistically, you're in no condition to move around right now."

Peony glared at him. "It's been an hour, Sage."

"So?"

"So," Peony said, "I'm fine. This isn't the first time this happened."

"And what did you do after those... episodes?"

Peony snorted. "I wouldn't call them episodes. My parents hardly know about them."

"'I wouldn't call them episodes,'" Sage mimicked. "Did you try to jump out the window those times too? You almost died today if it weren't for me."

"Statistically—"

"We're not talking about statistics right now."

"The last time I checked, we were. Sage." Peony couldn't help but put a little bit of sass in there.

"We were no—" he stopped abruptly, realizing what he had said earlier. "Well you're not going, that is that."

"And you're not my dad," muttered Peony, getting up anyways. "Don't worry, I'm only going to take a stroll. Breathe some fresh air, freshen up my lungs, clear my head for a bit. Okay?" Sage nodded hesitantly but didn't object. Peony gave him the sweetest smile and curtsied. "Goodbye then!" She skipped happily down the ramp and into the busy streets.

It was slightly different from the streets of New Beijing. Instead of street stalls, shops lined the sidewalk, netscreens instead of sloppy posters, and everyone was walking in a very civilized manner. That made Peony feel very self conscious. A few gawked at her speechlessly but said nothing. Peony ducked her head and scurried into the nearest store she saw.

It turned out that this was not a store at all, but a restaurant. A tiny one that is. She was directed to a seat and was offered something to drink. All without discovering her profile. Yet. Peony slid her hood on, trying to act inconspicuous.

"Would you like to order now, miss?" A monotone voice startled her.

Peony cleared her throat and tried to mimic a deeper voice. "I'll take the fish and chips please?" Thank god it was an android.

"An order of fish and chips, will that be all?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Please scan."

Peony scanned her wrist distractedly. She was certain she would have enough money for the time being.

"Thank you, miss, your meal will be with you shortly." And the android rolled away.

Peony breathed a sigh of relief and pulled up a game of Mountain Miners on her portscreen, not noticing the android coming back with a platter of food. She mumbled a "thank you" before returning to her game.

Mountain Miners was a tricky game, a lot like the game "Chess" which was popular during the second era. Peony had never played it before, but she planned on making her own set. It seemed plenty of fun, except for the fact that there were no rubies or diamonds to collect.

People can call her boring all they want. It would not faze her.

"Your highness."

Peony jumped and whipped her head around. There was a man standing next to her. "Do I know you?" she began cautiously.

"Highness, I am a guard from the New Beijing palace, courtesy of the Emperor himself."

Peony's brow knotted. Didn't Cress say she had sent a comm to her mother? "I'm sorry, there must have been a misunderstanding. My parents are fully aware of where I am. Perhaps they haven't announced it yet?"

"I must obey the Emperor's orders." he clasped his fist to his chest.

No this was not guard from a palace. She would know. "You must obey your Princess's orders too. Where is your uniform? All guards at the palace wear uniforms."

He stiffened. "My choice of attire is none of your concern, Princess," he replied tautly. "Now please, come with me or I will have to drag you by force."

"Stars, you do know how to push, don't you. Don't worry, I'm coming. Just let me pack up my food first." She popped a piece of fish into her mouth.

"Oh, don't you worry." The man smirked. "You won't be needing it."

And that was the last thing she heard before her body shut down.