2.14 - empty promises

Start from the beginning

"Here." Kibaru grabbed your elbows and pushed your arms together. "Pull one arm out at a time. Try it."

You did as the man said, your mouth dropping in shock when his technique worked. How smart! "Wow... Thank you... Miss, Mister," you shouted, a grateful gleam in your childishly naive eyes. Niyoka cooed at your politeness. "But, um, who are you?" you bluntly asked.

The couple turned to each other with stars in their eyes. There was an anticipating pause, waiting for the other to say something. Then simultaneously, both Niyoka and Kibaru uttered, "This one." They broke into smiles, glad the other was thinking the same thing.

"This one?" the caretaker raised a confused brow. "But this one's..." A look of distaste crossed Akumatsu's wrinkly features, but it dulled when he glanced at the parents-to-be's bright demeanors. "Nevermind. Come along, [first name]-chan."

You followed the three adults back into the building and down a winding hall. Children glared at you in jealousy as you did. "Am I getting adopted?" you had excitedly asked, holding onto Akumatsu's rough hand as he led your little quartet to the office.

He gave you a brief nod. "Yes, are you excited!"

You looked down, suddenly interested in your walking pattern. "But Kai-kun... He's gonna be alone," you sadly mumbled.

"Kai-kun is a big boy, he'll be fine," the man assured. Kibaru remembered wondering who this 'Kai-kun' was, but easily concluded he was one of your friends at the orphanage. He didn't want to separate the two of you, but they only wanted one kid. It was a bit selfish, but people are selfish to a fault. "Soon, he'll find a home too!"

You only gave a sad nod, but you quickly got over it, as kids do. When you reached the office, you sat in between the middle-aged couple. You asked them questions while the orphanage staff retrieved the necessary adoption papers. They were stupid questions, but the couple entertained you anyways.

"Are you royalty? I've always wanted to be a princess! But my Mommy told me that princesses aren't real," you blabbered.

"No we're not royalty," Niyoka said with a bemused chuckle, "but, [first name]-chan, what were your old parents like?" Her voice was tentative and curious, as if she were scared to ask almost. Kibaru gave his wife a look of shock, and was even more shocked when you answered.

"Uhhhhh..." Your mouth hung open and your eyebrows scrunched together, trying to remember your parents before they dropped you off here. "I think my Mommy was nice and smart, and she had big, colorful wings! Like a butterfly!" You spread your arms wide and ecstatically waved them back and forth, imitating her flight, as if excited to talk about her. "And she had pretty [hair color] hair like me! But my Daddy was not smart," you jutted out your lower lip in a pout. "He had, uh, I think he had orange hair? And four arms!" You were out of breath by the time your explanation ended.

Kibaru noticed you had neither of those traits. He watched silently as Niyoka comfortingly rubbed your arm up and down. "Why was your dad not smart, sweetie?"

"Because!" you exclaimed, startling the two. "That's what Mommy said! She said he's stupid for having more babies with- what was the word? I forgot, but I'll remember it later." Your cheerful tone was unwavering as you spoke. "And then one day mommy got a new boyfriend and they brought me here."

The two were immediately filled with indignation, though Niyoka's fury was more apparent. The man tried to calm his wife, holding her back with a gentle hand on her shoulder. "How old are you, [first name]-chan?" he asked, changing the topic.

You stared at your grubby hands and stuck up four thick fingers. 'Four?' he remembered thinking, 'She looks a bit too big for four.' You then slowly raised three more fingers and held them out to the man. Seven. That number made a lot more sense. You said the number with a prideful smile. You've been at the orphanage for three years.