"Thanks, Mom," I murmured, my voice an amalgamation of emotions.

My mother added, "See you downstairs, darling", with a gentle hug she departed the room. The remnants of the dream were still stinging my heart. I got up from my bed, headed towards the bathroom, and stood in front of the vanity to wash my face. Before I could do anything, the reflection of me in the mirror took my attention. I looked up in the mirror and fixed my gaze.

I am completely different from the girl in my dream. That was my past and it is my present. My brown hair is adorned with streaks of contrasting red, my earlobe boasts an array of piercings, and my eyes are dark kohl.

The alarm clock rang up from my room and brought me back to the present. I instantly realized that my mother had woke me up before the alarm clock. I could clearly see the time from the bathroom door, as it was kept straight on the nightstand. The clock is displaying the time, 05:00 A.M in the morning.

It's 5 O'clock in the morning, and I fucking standing stupidly in front of my own fucking reflection!!

Play 'Blank Space' by Taylor Swift

I usually don't wake up early in the morning except this day, my birthday. Every summer, I come here to my mother's home in Oakland, and depart on the 2nd of September, the first day of the semester of my college, and also my stupid birthday.

Without wasting any time, I took a shower and came out of the bathroom, wrapping myself in a towel. I stood in front of the dressing table before I saw a beautifully elegant black dress lying on my bed with a small note kept on it.

I slowly took up the note and read it, "Emily, my dearest good girl, on this special day, I gift you not just a beautiful dress but a reminder of how incredibly stunning and unique you are. May you shine as brightly on the outside as you do in my heart. I hope you will love it, and wear it today, on your birthday. Love you always, darling."

As I slipped into the elegant attire, my reflection in the mirror caught my eye. The black short-length bodycon dress was adorning my body and contrasting my skin color. I took my black leather jacket and fishnet stockings to wear, which enhanced my signature look.

I slowly walked down the stairs pulling my luggage, while the sweet baking smell of my favourite Chocolate cake reached my nose. My mother was preparing the breakfast table, while Elliot, my stupid young brother was sitting on the sofa. Actually, he was packing something in beige colored paper, probably my gift.

My mother's gaze froze on me before she gave me a warming smile and an 'Aww' look. "You look stunning, Emily," my mother complimented, her eyes were filled with pride. With a final glance at my transformed look, I nodded in approval.

In a burst of enthusiasm, Elliot jumps before me, handing me a small package. "Happy birthday, sis!"

I eagerly unwrapped the gift and revealed a collection of books, each bearing the name of my favorite authors. Gratitude swelled within me, and I enveloped Elliot in a heartfelt embrace.

"Thanks, Elliot. You know me too well," I chuckled.

He always encouraged me and showed interest in my passion and ambition along with my mother, while most of the people in my life degraded me and left me because of my rebellious soul.

He is a charming 18-year-old with a sweetest personality. With his striking good looks and a physique that could make heads turn, he was the kind of guy any girl would dream of dating. The tousled brunette hair and a pale white complexion that he shared with me are the only things he got from our maternal side of the family.

He seemed to be on a mission to outdo himself in the handsome department. It was almost like he had a secret recipe for getting better with age. According to Mom, he was like a spitting image of a younger version of our dad, sharing not just looks but also the same innate charm that had won Mom over back in the day.