2: Self-confrontation.

Start from the beginning

"When gathering data, what's a highly recommended practice?" I asked a leading question.

She seemed to think a bit before replying.
"Multiple information sources?"

Eh, good enough.

"Right, now since your singular observations of the school from your vantage point as a member of class D isn't going anywhere, why don't you broaden your horizons? Look beyond your class, beyond the year even. Maybe there's an answer there?"

There was a perfectly easy way to make her realize this without telling her outright but I don't see the appeal in that method anymore, for most cases.

Horikita's eyes sharpened as she realized the essence of what I just said and at the same time I could sense the wariness she felt towards me.

In her subconscious, her self perceived superiority felt threatened by me, someone she hadn't evaluated highly in the first place.

This is fine, development is development.

I don't want to be the one behind the scenes, I don't want to be a fleeting scene in the thoughts of others, shaded by the shadows of events.

I don't want to be the cold and invisible hand of the puppeteer.

I want to be known, an imprint of my existence being present in the minds of others.

Misguided or not, I believed I would be satisfied if I was acknowledged by others. Not as a savior, or as an unfeeling subject.

But as a person.

.

.

"How arrogant.." Horikita Suzune muttered under her breath as she walked towards the students' dorms.

'Why would I do something like that?" She mused on her decision to ignore what was conveniently made clear to her.

Her enthusiasm to jump into her investigations after her Ayanokouji inspired epiphany was initially high, only to immediately dampen the moment she realized she would be forced to interact with the other classes or students in the higher years to acquire any meaningful information.

And so she headed home, under the gaze of a dumbstruck Ayanokouji.

"Ayanokouji...." Her thoughts shifted to the quiet brown haired teen, Horikita couldn't shake off the feeling that the person she met the previous day and the oddly talkative Ayanokouji of today were totally different people.

It wasn't an obvious change but she could tell something was different, especially in his bearing.

The Ayanokouji of yesterday seemed to be a mildly noticeable individual, one not too forgettable but wouldn't strike an impression.

Today however....

The image of Ayanokouji explaining his approach to her appeared in her mind as she dwelled on how his presence in the class became more defined, his attitude seemed to have become more inclined to the members of the class.

"Tsk." She clicked her tongue in inexplicable frustration, an uncharacteristic action.

She couldn't tell where the feeling was coming from, but she was perfectly aware of what it was directed at.

Herself.

Prior to today's interaction she had told the seemingly emotionless teen that there was no way he could contribute to her efforts in prying into the mysteries of the advanced nurturing high school.

That was why it was so frustrating that he had been the one to provide a viable clue to aid her search.

And here she was, ignoring it.