chapter thirty-six: the gray shirt pt.2

When Ana woke up the next morning, she swore to never drink wine again. Her head was pounding and she was damn tired. And when she opened her eyes, she sat up, confused. What?

She realized pretty quickly that she's in her old room in Joel's house. A bit shocked, she turned to check if she's alone, but it was empty.

Oh, Joel isn't here, and she wasn't sure whether to be relieved or disappointed.

And when she got up, she realized that she was wearing a leather jacket that wasn't hers.

Ana groaned loudly, she had no idea what happened last night. The only thing she remembered was that she had tested some cake and wine with Sarah and then suddenly Joel was there.

Confused, she got up and stood in front of the mirror. She looked like shit. Her hair and her makeup was completely messed up.

Fuck, she thought to herself. She doesn't want Joel to see her like that. So she quietly left the room and went over to the bathroom.

And after a few minutes she managed to somehow comb her hair without a brush and wash off her makeup. She would love to take a hot bath, but she wouldn't dare do that, after all, she doesn't live there anymore.

When Ana opened the door again, she noticed that the whole house was silent, and she started wondering if Joel was even home. So she slowly walked down the stairs and then stopped abruptly in the living room when she heard his voice and some jingling of tools from the kitchen.

"You've got some explaining to do, Sarah"

Ana quietly took a few steps towards the kitchen. She didn't know if Sarah was here, or if Joel was just talking to her on the phone, but she was too curious not to listen. Especially since it would probably be about her.

"Yeah I know, I mean it's nice to know that you did it for us. But you really didn't have to do that. We were really confused, and she was completely wasted"

So they really are talking about her over the phone. And Ana knew that eavesdropping wasn't appropriate, but she wanted to know what Joel was saying about her. His opinion is important to her, and now, she was afraid that he would judge her because she had drunk too much.

"No, it's okay. I'm not mad at you, Sarah. But you could have told me about it, you know?"

"Sure. But I'll call you later, okay? I wanna check on her now, she wasn't feeling well"

Ana immediately became nervous when he said that, she didn't want him to know that she listened to him talking to Sarah. So she quickly and quietly ran back up the stairs and then went into the bathroom.

A minute later she heard Joel coming up the stairs and since she didn't close the bathroom door, he spotted her immediately.

"Oh, you're awake, are you okay?" he asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"Yeah, apart from the headache at least" she replied.

He let out a small chuckle and then noticed that she was staring at the bathtub for a moment, "Do you want to take a bath?"

"I.. uh, I don't wanna bother you" she replied.

She didn't know if he wants her to leave now, because she would actually like to stay. Ana wants to spend more time with Joel, and besides she's tired of her small and unpleasant shower at home. And a hot bath sounds fucking great right now.