Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

She knocked on the door for what felt like the hundredth time. Left ajar, it opened slightly against her hand. Calling out she was met with silence so she tentatively let herself in, shutting the door behind her. She called out louder again but heard only distant noises from upstairs.

Feeling slightly uncomfortable, she went in search of Theo and checked in the lounge first. She paused however the minute her foot stepped inside. It was covered in baby blue and pink balloons and an untidy heap of drawn-on baby grows. Mixed in were several used cups and lidless pens. She was too distracted to even acknowledge the mess which would have normally initiated an organising frenzy. She turned and saw leftovers on the table with discarded plates and cups. There was even a cake cut open, it's inside a marble of pink and blue. She twisted again and she settled on what she had been looking for.

–Baby number two—

The words struck her like lightning and she realised she hadn't been breathing when her throat burned and she took in a shaky breath. Glutton for punishment she stepped toward the display poster. The words were in embossed in gold and printed on thick paper. Little booties were hanging below and she reached out to touch the fluffy tiny pair.

Some last of her begged that they were just hosting for another couple but a quick turn of a card confirmed the news.

–Congratulations Gabby and Vic—

Stepping back as if she were burned, her heart raced in her chest. She'd almost forgotten he had a first name - Victor - she recalled. She had never called him that and never heard anyone call him anything so informal as Vic. She started to panic, the walls closing in as the reality of what she was doing flooded her mind and threatened to overwhelm her entirely.

Theo saved her and his hug grounded her. She squeezed him tightly and swallowed the sob that had been working its way up. She was a whore. An adulterer. A slut. A homewrecker. No number of bad words seemed enough. She was all of them. He seemed to realise something was wrong and squeezed back all the tighter.

Standing as Mrs Sloan entered, she felt stronger as Theo continued to hug her. She was wearing a royal blue fitted dress and she could hardly spot a bump at all. Her heels were painfully high and she winced as she compared herself. Steeling herself, she opened her mouth and it took a moment too long for her to speak. Luckily Mrs Sloan wasn't paying them any attention and was digging into a pile of cardigans - no doubt left behind by accident.

"Congratulations," she began before she chickened out. Mrs Sloan straightened, seemingly oblivious that there had been other people in the room. Mrs Sloan stared at her blankly and she gestured around the room when her mouth failed to say the words.

"Oh yes, thanks," Mrs Sloan said and then went back to the pile. Extracting a phone she made to walk out the door when Candice spoke.

"How far along are you?" Candice asked, the curiosity burning within her. If he'd been fucking his wife at the same time, what the hell did he want her for.

Mrs Sloan paused, hand on the doorframe and gazed at her with slight disdain. She gulped and regretted the question.

"Thirty weeks," Mrs Sloan stated with not even a flicker of excitement and turned around before Candice had an opportunity to say anything else.

When her brain finally started functioning again she slowly converted it in her head. Candice's mouth dropped as she realised she was seven and a half months pregnant! How had she not known. Where the hell was her bump?

Theo had broken free at some point and was sticking his fingers in the frosting, licking it off and going again. Heading towards him, she cut him a slice instead.

"Thanks Candy," he said around the cake already in his mouth. She smiled at his nickname and sat in a seat, before she fell down. "Do you want some, it's really good," he said as he held out his own nearly finished slice.

She shook her head, the sweet smell suddenly unbearably cloying. She rubbed her tummy absentmindedly as it ached.

"Come on, I want to show you my den," he said excitedly and she wondered how many slices he had had. She allowed herself to be dragged from the room and took her first somewhat free breath since the news was thrown at her.