Chapter Nine

Soojin:

My eyes became weary as I started drifting off to sleep until they finally shut. Moments later vivid images popped into my head. It started off simple, it was just a dream of me going to school, seeing all my friends. But the images became blurry and twisted. A distant yell could be heard and the tall, terrifying figure towered over me. It was my father. He scolded and scolded me. Throwing previous papers, assignments and tests at my face then proceeded to beat me to a pulp. I knew it was a dream and that I couldn't feel pain, but that didn't stop me from feeling scared. The flashbacks started, my father yelling, my teachers scolding me for being late to school, my mother crying over my limp, bleeding body. Another image of my father finding me in Suho's house and taking me away, back to the pits of hell. I woke up in a cold sweat, not realising that I had let out a very loud scream.

Suho:

I turned on the TV and put on my favourite show. It was something I did often, to wind down after a long day. It was much needed, especially after today. I never noticed how much I had cared for Soojin before now, but in my mind, it's now my responsibility to take care of her, unlike her father has ever done. After all, she's living with me now. My thoughts were interrupted by a blood curdling scream. I whipped my head around a saw Soojin sitting up from my bed, pale as a ghost. I picked up the remote, turned off the TV and ran to Soojin. I sat next to her on the bed, "Are you okay? What happened?" I asked urgently. She didn't reply, her hands cupped around her ears, her face twisted in an expression full of pain. She was breathing heavily and her entire body was shaking with fear. I pulled her into a hug, wrapping my arms tightly around her shoulders, resting my head on hers.

She took a few more breaths before her breathing was normal again, and the room went silent. I pulled away to look at her. She still looked scared but she had stopped shaking. "I had a nightmare," she began, "My father, he found me at your house and dragged me back to mine. He beat me, he punished me, he yelled. I'm so scared Suho," she said. I sighed and rubbed her head, "Your father really got to you hasn't he? It's okay, he can't do anything to you while you're here," I replied. She nodded and continued breathing deeply, calming herself. "Thanks Suho," she said suddenly, "Only you truly understand what I go through. It gets lonely sometimes, I hate lonely," she said the last part in a daze, as if she's realising how empty and miserable her life has been. I rubbed her shoulders and wiped the tears away from her face, still hugging tight, holding her close to me.

Soojin:

Suho sat with me for a bit, just in silence. No words were exchanged for the whole 20 minutes of me leaning on his chest, taking deep breaths if I felt sobs coming up. "Suho," I said unwillingly. "Mm?" he replied. "Will you stay with me tonight?" I bit my lip after I finished my sentence. Why in hell would I say that out loud? I felt Suho tense up next to me, probably in shock. But his body relaxed and I finally had the courage to look up at him. He was smiling, a gentle, comforting smile. The one that usually had all of the girls at school head over heels. He slowly nodded and let go of me, adjusting the pillows. Now I was shocked, I didn't think he would agree so easily. Suho fluffed up both pillows and adjusted the blanket he laid down on the bed and looked at me, waiting. I blinked a couple of times before settling down next to him. My cheeks were getting warmer and I turned away from him, feeling oddly shy. I must have been crazy to ask him to do this.

Suddenly I felt an arm wrap around my waist. Suho pulled me closer and pressed my back against his chest. I nearly gasped and froze when my body touched his. "Just go to sleep Soojin," he said drowsily. I relaxed and leaned into his touch. I shut my eyes, slightly smiling. Finally, after all these years, I felt safe. Safer then I ever felt even when I was away from home. I was scared even laying in my own room, in constant fear that father would barge in and slap me awake. I felt calm for once, with the one person who understood my pain, the one person who I cared about the most. I felt my body start to shut down. A curious thought popped into my head. Won't I miss his touch when I'm asleep? I smiled, acknowledging the fact that Suho will be the one I wake up to, the first person I will see in the morning. Not my father, not the teacher. Suho.