"Did you meet with Clide today and did he get close to you?" Moon tried again and this time you nodded.

"I ran into Clide...At the library...He was angry so I left...But he followed me...He assaulted me and threatened to kill me...Something about me stealing his job...? I'm...Not really sure what it was about...He wasn't making any sense..." You explained, your voice oddly monotonous and slow. Once you were finished Sun sighed in relief. He knew it! Heknewitheknewitheknewit! You weren't betraying them, you had been attacked! Oh, thank heavens! Wait, no! Clide attacked you?! How dare he! Sun growled, his claws coming out at the thought of that horrid human coming anywhere near you again.

"Hmmm, looks like that curse we made a while back finally came into effect." Moon murmured and Sun flinched before drawing his claws back in at the memory. Right, he had completely forgotten about that Curse of Madness they had placed on Clide for being a generally terrible human being so that he would get fired. In their defense, he had tried to separate and hurt them and the curse hadn't seemed to work, but maybe him losing his position caused him to snap and if he had tried to, you would've been...Sun whimpered and gave you an apologetic hug with his tail.

"Oh, Sunshine I'm so, so sorry! We should've been there to stop him! If we hadn't cursed him this might not have happened! So, so, so sorry Sunshine." Sun said and Moon rolled his eyes.

"Sunshine? Really Sun? Why do you care so much about them anyway? Before long they'll just abandon or use us just like all the others!" Moon growled out and Sun turned to his brother in disbelief.

"Of course! They're like a ray of sunshine when they smile! And you can't seriously think that Moonie? After everything they've done for us, how could you think they'd even think of doing such a thing?! They saved me and have been nothing but nice to the both of us."

"You only got into that situation because of them! And even though they did help you, how long is that going to last, hmm?" Moon asked and Sun's eyes narrowed in frustration.

"I don't know but I'm sure they care about us! They always bring us nice things and treats and indulge us in what we like! You've seen their weird metal thing, it's full of things catered to us! Maybe they don't have an ulterior motive, have you thought of that? Maybe they just want us to be happy!" Sun yelled out and Moon growled, fins bristling before his eyes flicked to you and a smug smile came over his face.

"How about I ask it right now?! No matter how cute or innocent they may seem there is a black heart hiding behind that stupid smile of theirs!" Moon said with a hiss and Sun bristled before pushing himself up to his brother's level with a growl.

"Then ask! Let's settle this once and for all! If they are plotting something, we'll do something to make sure they won't ever be able to hurt us, but if I'm right you need to start treating them nicely." Sun said exasperated and Moon nodded, that smug smile only growing wider.

"Deal! Now you," He hissed before snapping his attention back to your blank stare. "What are your plans with us?"

"With...Who?" You asked and Moon growled in frustration.

"Sun and Moon, the Mers you're supposed to 'take care of'. What are your plans with them?" He asked and for a moment you were silent. Every second that moment took felt like an eternity to Sun who shook nervously as he awaited your answer. Please be good, please be good, please be good-

"I want to...Protect them and...Care for them...It's my job and I...Care about them." You said in that same strange voice. For a moment the two Mers absorbed what you had just said before Sun squealed happily and picked you up, spinning you around as he cheered. Of course, you did! This was you they were talking about! Of course, you were good! Oh, he knew it! You were so sweet to care about them! So cute that you want to protect them! Such a little beam of Sunshine!