Capítulo 11

WILLY

My first waking thought the next day was that everything had changed. The lingering scent that was probably only my imagination and the dent in the pillow next to me had come from a woman who wasn’t Delores Arriaga.

And it wasn’t as painful as I’d anticipated it would be.

Remembering the way Ruelle had reacted to my stupid remark about not wanting my mother to know we’d slept together was painful, though. I probably should have explained what I meant, but I hadn’t realized until much later that she might have thought I was ashamed of what we’d done.

I needed to tell her why it was so important my mother did not find out, just as soon as I had the chance.

After I finally dragged myself out of bed and into the shower, I went down to the kitchen. It was quiet, which meant Andrés wasn’t over. Even on the weekends, he tended to pop over, and I didn’t mind. I liked hearing the little guy’s voice, especially when he was excited about something or laughing.

“Hey, Ma” I kissed my mother’s cheek and made a beeline for the coffee pot. “It’s quiet this morning.”

“Enjoy it while it lasts. Ruelle just called and they asked her if she could cover for a girl who’s sick and of course, I said I’d watch Andrés. He’ll be here soon.”

“Good. We’re still working on our secret project.”

“How’s it turning out?”

I shrugged and pulled a few eggs out of the fridge.

“It’s not going to be as fancy as the one she used to have, but I think she’ll like it.”

“Cariño, she’s going to think it’s the most beautiful thing she’s ever seen. Trust me on that.”

“I hope so. You want a sandwich?”

She grimaced.

“No, thank you. I had a muffin with my coffee earlier. I'm stuffed.”

I fried the eggs, running a fork through the yolks so they set hard, and then slid them onto bread I slathered in mayo. A slice of cheese and a little salt and pepper, and it was ready. Taking it and the coffee mug to the table, I pulled out a chair with my foot.

“Are you all ready for Christmas?” my mother asked.

“I think so.”

I’d already bought her gifts, as well as presents for my nieces.

“How about you, Ma?”

“I’m almost done. I have a puzzle coming in the mail for Andrés. Each piece is a state, with the capital and a random fact written on it, and they all go together to make the country. I hope it gets here in time.”

I had bought him a set of metal Tonka trucks because he didn’t have any and a boy should have Tonka trucks. But I’d been so wrapped up in helping Andrés make the hope chest for Ruelle, that I hadn’t thought about a gift for her.

“I need an idea for Rue,” I said, knowing nobody would know better than my mom what she’d like.

“I think the hope chest is more than enough.”

“That’s from Drés, Ma. And only Drés. I’m just helping him out.”

“If you say so. What kind of gift were you thinking of?”

“Something...”

I had no idea.

“Something pretty or silly. Something she wouldn’t buy for herself.”