Teacher's Favourite

Start from the beginning

"Miff."

"Have you noticed anything different about Teddy?"

Ada thought hard about it. The only thing she could come up with was his general awesomeness and excessive sticking to rules.

"Teddy is changing, Ada."

"I... I do not understand. Is that a bad thing? Does it have something to do with me being a Rollick?"

"Eh." Bo waved away her words. "Do not get so worked up, Ada-soda. Think about it with me. Since Teddy is a Miff, his personality core should be a short temper. A tad impatient as well."

"Oh." Ada frowned. "Teddy is not like that, though."

"Bingo," Bo said as if that solved the puzzle.

"I do not understand."

"Something about Rollicks creates balance. That's why it's a good idea to have a Rollick among Helmets. The personalities of all the Helmets would be balanced. Better synergy and whatnot."

"Oh."

"Yeah," Bo said with a nod. "Look at the Northern Division. Without a Rollick all these years, Luke has become an exasperating combo of all the worst sides of Blahs and Miffs... minus the Highbrows cause his brain is empty."

Bo and Ada laughed in the same instant. Ada slapped a palm over her mouth, eyes widening. How could she laugh at a Helmet?

"Relax. You're free to donkey laugh at that stick in the mud. We are still investigating his leadership pattern. When the Southern Division is done with him, he would cry to the One Up High for reprieve."

After finishing her drink in one long draw from her straw, Bo fully turned to face Ada. "So, about your wings. Do you have a clue why they act as they do?"

Ada shook her head.

Bo leaned in. "So, there are different types of helpers. Cupids. Rifters. Health sprites. Protectors. Time Keepers. A few more I can't remember at the moment. You learned this in Structures and Histories, yeah?"

"Ummm." Ada looked away. She had slacked in class because concentrating was hard. "I don't think I was listening in class that day."

Bo facepalmed. "Why am I not surprised? Anyhoo, I'll just stick to the basics. Sometimes, abilities cross and anomalies form when this happens. Among Cupids, Rollicks fall under this category. I think your ability crossed with Protectors, hence the wings and vanishing ability. There may still be more you can do with those wings. Who knows."

Giddy excitement bubbled in Ada. "I can not believe my wings are that awesome." She made a mental note to read up on Protectors.

"Better believe it." Bo's eyes sparkled with glee. "We are the best there is out there. It's just a fact. Rollicks rule, and Luke's just butt hurt he's ordinary."

Ada nodded as renewed pride zinged through her. For the longest time, she had felt bummed about being a Rollick and how her wings appeared different. No more.

"Tell me more about the Rifter mentioned."

Ada told Bo everything, including how his wings were taken because he had tampered with his assignment's brain.

"I can not believe Luke wasted such potential. Gah! Rollicks are always easily misunderstood." Bo was frowning now. "Have you ever heard of cupids tampering with the brain of their assignment?"

"No."

"That's what I am saying. What Haruto used was his Rollick ability, but he was punished for it. Luke's head is so far up his ass that he can't see gold even though it smacks him square in the face." Bo suddenly winced. "Ah, sorry for my crude words. I just really, really find Luke distasteful."

"Does that mean you can help Haruto become a Cupid again? He is suffering." Ada's hope soared.

"Nah. That's out of our jurisdiction," Bo said with a sad shrug.

"Oh." Ada dropped her gaze.

"But."

"But?" Ada swung her attention back to Bo. "But what?" She asked eagerly.

"I told you we are carrying out our findings. We have to be sure of certain things before we call for a hearing."

"Hearing? What's that?"

"I've said enough." Bo stood and stretched. "I've got to head in. How's your assignment going?"

"Before I left, Raymond was in a bad mood. Turns out seaweed farming wasn't as easy as he hoped. But I think the water has more to do with his mood."

"Huh?" Bo made an exaggerated confused face. "Boy, I'm glad I'm out of the field."

Ada laughed. "I'll keep handling my assignment."

"Do that," Bo said with a nod. "And read up the info in the logger I gave you the other day."

"Sure." Ada had previously checked it out. So many materials to read. She had noped out fast.

"Later, Ada-soda. Go kill 'em," Bo said before taking off.

As Ada sat alone in the garden, she thought of Raymond and Genevieve. Why did it feel like they were not progressing as fast as they should? Or was she impatient? Maybe she was. She recalled feeling this way in her previous assignments and ending up doing or not doing something to sabotage them.

For now, she would do exactly what was expected of her and hope not to ruin things. As for Haruto and sneaking into the Rifter Division, that was a given. It wasn't just to help Haruto or find out info about Raymond. There was a thrill to it. She could already tell that she would have a blast visiting the Rifter Division; what remained was Haruto's complete cooperation.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. 

At first, I imagined that I'd finish this story before Nezzar. But surprise, surprise. Look at my life. *wipes tears*. 

Fun fact, I had three story ideas in mind with this story concept. The title of this story was supposed to be "Rollick" with a Cupid concept; the second was called "Holy Martha" with little conscience creatures (you know those tiny cute good and bad avatars that sit on your shoulder and act as your conscience? yep); then the last book would be "Guarding Julia" that had to do with Protectors. Very neat ideas... then I looked at the pace I was going with Worst Cupid Ever, and I shook my head and backpedalled hard. Perhaps, in an alternate universe, another Precious Nkem has dutifully written and published those stories that may forever remain in my head.

Anyhoo, give me your votes and comments. I love those.