Teacher's Favourite

Beginne am Anfang

"Huh? Do what?"

He opened his eyes and observed her. She had on the same dungarees and a black tank top that had some whimsical nonsense written across it. That she looked so relaxed after those hellish two hours pissed Raymond the more.

"I was bent under the sun for two hours, ripping weeds from salt water. Rinse repeat. Sea farming is not for me. I'm out." He resumed his trek. How was it that the station felt even farther the more he approached it?

"Dude," She hurried after him, "you were the only one who took the whole thing like some Olympic sports. The rest took a slow pace, but you were in the zone. I even thought you were loving it."

"Loving it? Ha!" Just then, there was laughter behind them. Raymond turned in time to see the five other volunteers. One ran down the beach, hooting as two girls chased after him. Why did it seem like he was the only one who went through a crucible?

"You were in beast mode from the moment we started, and you wouldn't even meet my eyes. I was sending signals for you to chill," Genevieve said with a laugh. "Jamal focused on you because of how seriously you took the whole thing. Congrats. You're his favourite student."

"I could feel his judgemental gaze boring holes through my head."

Genevieve laughed, and the sound carried through the beach. "I keep saying this over and over. You need to chill. We are on a vacation of sorts. Is it permission you need? I permit you to be a bad student."

"But—"

"You saw that the farm is automated, yeah?" Genevieve fell in step with him. "Feel free to slack a bit. I harvested one basket while making new friends. Win."

"You are something else." Raymond found his earlier annoyance evaporating. "Fine. I'll try to do as you said. It's funny cause there was a time I was all ease and breeze, but now it feels impossible to find that chill version of myself."

She made her way around him again and began walking backwards. There was a twinkle in her eyes. "Can I offer you my quack psychologist opinion?"

A laugh escaped before he could stop it. "Sure."

"Maybe you shouldn't be so focused on who you were before. Assume the former you died or something. The responsibilities pressing in? Put a pin on them and determine to have fun now." Her gaze was earnest. "Try it when we head back to farming. Do not worry about losing your teacher's favourite status. Slack a bit on your task. Accept Jamal's laser gaze of disappointment."

And Raymond did just that. After the break, he was back in the water, but this time it wasn't a race. He took his time with his tasks and talked with the rest of the volunteers. They turned out to be pretty cool people. The conversation was fun and easy. In the midst of all that, he caught Genevieve's eyes now and then. Sometimes, she would give him a thumbs up or wiggle her brow with a knowing smile. And he would smile back and do nothing to fight the warmth that spread in his chest or the wave of attraction that followed.

This time, when two hours passed, it felt a whole lot shorter.

***

"Why do you think Rollicks exist?"

"Huh?" Ada stopped fiddling with her logger and glanced at Bo.

Bo had summoned her some minutes ago, and Ada had left a pissed-off Raymond to his seaweed farming and hurried over. Now they sat in beach chairs in the back gardens of the Division. Bo was nursing a cup of milkshake while Ada fiddled with her logger nervously.

"I'm guessing the same reason Highbrows, Miffs and Blahs exist."

"You are a funny one," Bo said as she pointed with her drink. She was sitting in a lounging position with legs stretched in front of her and crossed at the ankle. "We exist for balance. What house does Teddy belong to?"