If Tomorrow Never Comes

Steve always considered himself a Christian man. Believing the word of the Lord and following his word. He always believed that what was sin was sin. Things like stealing, killing, adultery, engaging in premarital sexual acts, he believed were sin in the eyes of God. As he believed homosexuality was a sin. Now, Steve never condemned or judged those who lived that life style, nor did he care if they did. He just didn't believe it to be his life.

That was until now, as he was looking at Tony's face. He took in Tony's features, his face, his scruffy facial hair, and the messy black hair that sort of hung in his face.

Steve hated the thought of finding a man attractive. That thought even sort of, he hated to say, repulsed him, but the more he looked Tony over, the more he found himself lost in the memories that he aquired because of Tony.

He remembered the first time he met Tony. It wasn't a great impression Stark left of himself.

He remembered he was standing talking with Bruce, Natasha, Thor, and Tony when he and Stark started to argue.

"Big man in a suit of armour. Take that away and then what are you?"

"A genuius, billionare, playboy, philanthropist."

God did Steve hate that answer. Of course Tony was right but he hated it. For reasons he couldn't explain. Was it jealousy; jealousy that Tony could pick and choose anyone he wanted to bed and it wasn't him? Was it jealousy that he may be smarter than Steve? No! He shook the thoughts, especially the first, out of his head.

"What about you? A government experiment in a spandex suit. You take that away and what do you have? A man with no powers, who's useless to us!"

He didn't think about it, at the time he just smirked and laughed it off, but thinking back on it now, he realized just how much Tony's words actually hurt him. Why? He wasn't quite sure yet. Not until now. When he really thought about it, he realized. It was because he called him useless.

Now back when Steve was that small, frail boy back in the 40s, he was used to being called useless. It never really hurt him to hear it anymore. However; with Tony, it was different.  He cared what Tony thought about him. Even going so far as to say he craved Tony's approval.

He couldn't say all things about Tony were bad. He remembered that for the first time since entering this decade that Tony was the first to get him to smile and feel, somewhat, excepted. He was also the first, and only, to make him forget about his lost love, Peggy.

The more he reminisced, the more he grew confused. Did he feel something more for Tony than just subtle hatred and friendship?

As he sat and looked over Tony, really taking it in, the more it made his heart jump, to think maybe he felt more than comaraderie.

It excited him, it made him feel human, it made him feel, almost, like he did when he was with Peggy way back when, but most importantly,  it terrified him.