He was still annoyed with himself for kissing her yesterday. He had vowed he would not touch her in that way until she knew he belonged to her. But the temptation had been too great and he had given in.

The kiss had been explosive and unlike anything he'd ever experienced before. He had laid in bed last night visualizing it over and over again. She hadn't seemed upset about it which was the one thing that had worried him when he'd first kissed her, but she had responded the way he'd hoped.

Ragnar wanted to tell her how stunning she looked in that dress, but he'd held back, knowing this night would change both of their lives forever. He didn't want to distract her.

He'd been able to tell the moment she'd realized her mate was in the crowd. He saw her stiffen and wondered what was going through her mind. Then their eyes had met and he'd watched her's glow as her wolf looked out at him, finally recognizing him as her mate. He wondered how Lila felt about it.

Talia hadn't moved though. She just stood there, staring at him in shock until the pack surrounded her, making it difficult for him to even see her. He knew her well enough to know that she would need time to process everything. He remembered her words that if she got a second chance mate right away, she hoped he would be patient with her. Ragnar would do what she asked and let her come to him

"Are you okay?" Elijah asked him, laying a hand on his shoulder

*Yeah," he lied. "I'm all right."

Astrid suddenly stepped away from the crowd and walked up to him and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around her, realizing that he had needed the hug though his eyes still searched the crowd for Talia. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been this nervous.

Suddenly, she was in front of him. "How long?"

He knew exactly what she meant and had been concerned she might be upset that he had known and not told her. "Since I laid eyes on you."

She stared at him for a moment longer than turned around and walked away.

'At least she didn't reject us,' Rollo murmured in his mind as they watched her walk away from them.

'No, not yet," Ragnar replied

'I don't think she will. She just needs time,' Rollo said quietly.

'I hope you're right.'

Astrid watched Talia walk away, her jaw clenched.

"She needs time, Astrid," he said softly, repeating Rollo's words to him.

She nodded and disappeared.

The crowd had started to disperse and Ragnar could see Talia headed back up the path with Charlotte. Without him. It hurt, but he knew he needed to be patient with her.

"Are you all right?"

Ragnar looked up to see Daniel standing in front of him. "No," he admitted. "But I also didn't expect her to accept me right away. I kind of prepared myself for the worst."

Daniel sighed as he studied his Beta in the firelight. He could see the hurt in his face, but then Ragnar took a deep breath and it was gone.

"Let's get this cleaned up. I need to go for a run," Ragnar muttered.

***

Jenna had run ahead to catch up with Talia after watching the exchange between her and Ragnar.

Talia turned when she heard Jenna calling her and stopped to wait for her friend.

"Are you okay?" Jenna asked her, slipping an arm around her waist.

"I don't know. I need some time to think. I'm a little overwhelmed right now," Talia admitted. She suddenly looked at Jenna. "You knew too."