The Forbidden Love in Victorian Era

⁞⁞‥‥•••Happy Reading•••․․․․⁞⁞

••••••••••

"You know, I don't understand why we have to go through this again," complained Lady Melvina Alardice as she spoke with her best friend, Lady Pauline Maynard. They were strolling in the beautiful garden, enjoying the bright morning sun.

"Never mind, Melvina. I know it feels like a constant nightmare, but your family only wants the best for you," Pauline replied gently.

Melvina sighed. She knew Pauline was right; this match was arranged to strengthen the bond between two powerful noble families: the Alardice family and the Hogan family. Even so, Melvina's eyes filled with tears. "But why should I marry Edgar? You know we have a history..." her voice trembled as she recalled the forgotten past.

On the way to the meeting room at the Alardice residence, Lord Edgar Hogan's mind was racing. He did not like the idea of marrying for political reasons, especially if his wife would be Melvina. But for the sake of his family, he had to comply. It was still fresh in his memory how Melvina had once stolen his heart deeply.

They had felt love in the past when they were still teenagers and had yet to take over their family throne. However, an exposed illicit love scandal separated them, and they have lived in separate worlds ever since.

"Ah, I see the groom and bride are finally together," said Neil Alardice, Melvina's father in a husky, yet authoritative voice. He waved at his daughter and Edgar, asking them to sit down.

Melvina replied firmly, "Dad, don't call us that. This is a political wedding, not a real 'groom and bride' who love each other."

Edgar, who had been known for his coldness, slowly took Melvina's hand and said, "Whatever the reason, let's make the best of it, Melvina. I'm ready to try to maintain our happiness."

Behind those straightforward words, his eyes showed the depth of his feelings and longing.

After that meeting, Melvina and Edgar met more often to discuss their wedding preparations. They became more intimate, starting to open up about their respective histories, and how political trends and family pressures influenced their decisions.

One day, while walking together in the garden of the Alardice residence, Melvina decided to have a frank talk with Edgar. "You know, I still feel weird about us getting married. Even though we're trying our best, underneath all this commotion, I can't forget the feelings we once had," Melvina said, her voice soft and trembling.

Edgar stopped his steps and looked at Melvina, his eyes radiating the same feelings. "Melvina, I understand how you feel. I feel the same way. Even if we have to marry for political purposes, that doesn't mean we have to forget our past completely." She brought her face closer to Melvina's. "Perhaps we can find a way to rekindle the flame of love that once existed between us," he continued.

Melvina's mouth clamped shut, trying to silence the feelings sweeping through her heart. "Edgar, is that possible? Could we rekindle our love after everything that has happened?"

Edgar grasped Melvina's hand tightly, and he steadily replied, "I believe we can, Melvina. We just need time and opportunity to mend what has been broken."

As expected, their wedding preparations were not without obstacles. The conflicts involving the Alardice and Hogan families in the political world were heating up and their financial situation was beginning to be jeopardized. The wedding that was planned to be held in three months had to be postponed.