12 continued

Mara reached out a hand toward mine. Since I had grabbed hers before, I noticed she was more comfortable.

"Hona," she whispered. "Leave the spear. I doubt the Rabaka will invade tonight."

Jonga wasn't one to make empty threats. Any word he said was a promise.

I straightened, not used to hearing the name so much as my fingers tightened against the hilt. "I cannot risk it."

She nodded. "I understand, but you are going to scare our guests."

I wasn't certain Mara really understood.

We reached the doors, a small group stood outside, waiting to enter. There was disappointment on Mara's face as she stared at them.

"I won't scare many," I said with a smile.

People entered into the castle, staring in awe. They spoke with Queen Mara and I stayed by her side.

Most were thrilled to be in her presence, others had come to judge her as a Kaijan. I was indifferent.

Seeing Mara for the first time, she reminded me of Anai. I wasn't certain if she was truly the enemy or not. But once she had freed us from Baria's tyranny, I knew she wasn't the enemy, now she was a savior.

It was odd to see people outside of the castle and the soldiers on the wall. I don't remember the last time I had spoken with one of the villagers.

"I guess my speech didn't mean much to some," I said.

"It's hard to diverge people's minds sometimes," she explained. "You did what you could. What matters is they aren't plotting my death right now."

"For all we know," I said with a laugh and an eye roll.

"Aren't you cheery," she said with a returning roll of her eyes as Qia approached. She was wearing the same servant dress as before. Even with the change in monarch, Qia was still the same woman as before.

"No, no, no," Mara said, pushing her away from the door in the dining hall. "I won't accept you dressing like this. You are now a free woman."

"But—"

"In the queen's chambers, there are gowns. Pick one you wish. Take what you want and of course, make sure your mother is taken care of as well."

"Mara, I couldn't."

I stepped in. "Tonight is not only a night to celebrate a new queen but to celebrate a new beginning." I offered her a slight smile. "You deserve this treatment."

She blushed and nodded, falling to Mara's arms in an embrace. Qia's mid-sized body melded with her small one. As she pulled away and ascended the stairs, she left behind the scent of fresh herbs in her place.

Mara and I laughed together as we took in the scenery. The people of Udan were merry. Swinging as the sound of a flute played in the back from one of the villagers. I had never seen so many smiles in one room.

"Queen Mara!" a wiry haired boy hollered, holding a mug to his chest. "How grand to be here!" He was dramatic and loud. Not the kind of person I liked to situate myself with. I knew different kinds of people were to present themselves tonight to queen Mara.

"Hello," she said with a smile. "What is your name?"

"Dari," he answered with qualm. "I am just a farmer boy, but I am at your service."

"Pleased to meet you," she said with a slight bow. "I am pleased to see you are enjoying the festivities."

"I am!" he roared, raising the mug in glee. "Not once in my life or my mother's life has the castle been open to us," he explained. "It's a day to celebrate for sure."