Don't Get Too Close; It's Dark Inside

Summary:
Hey look! Grian's got himself and Scar a ghost hunting job on the night Skizz's supposed to meet up with the guys on the third anniversary of Impulse's death. Awkward...
Don't worry, 'dad' can stay at home with his buddies while the two run off. The ghost only got aggressive recently, after all!

[Trigger Warnings]

Today just didn't seem to be his day. To be fair, Skizz had a mound of paperwork for the deogen incident a week ago, it was the third anniversary of his best friend's death, and the phone was ringing aggressively, shaking and vibrating so hard it nearly flung itself off its hook on the wall. Skizz looked up from his reports, pushing his reading glasses further up his nose and laying the papers down slowly. It didn't help that he'd recently found out that that friend currently lived in an evil version of limbo.

"I got it!" Grian shouted, emerging from his room on the top floor in a flurry of feathers. His usual parrot red wings were still slightly gold from the paint incident Skizz had come home to from Welsmart last week. Skizz barely glimpsed Scar inside Grian's room before the door swung shut again, probably because of Jellie.

"Thank you for calling Ghostly Investigation and Guard Services, how can I help you?" Grian asked, searching for a notepad with the old, white phone sandwiched between his ear and shoulder. "Paranormal activity? Yep, that's what we do. How aggressive? Disturbing items until recently, got it. Yep. Uh-huh. Totally. We can fit you in tonight, no problem. Address? ... Mhm... thank you. Yep, we'll see you tonight."

Grian slammed the phone back on the hook, tearing the paper out of the notebook and running to the van. He grabbed an equipment list from the shelf and tucked his pencil behind his ear so he could track their expenditure. Skizz groaned and dropped his head on his desk with an audible thud, breathing in the papery fumes before he pushed himself up to talk with Grian.

"G, you know we can't take jobs tonight, right?" he asked, softly barring the avian's progress with the truck.

"Yeah, but Scar and I can. You've got your anniversary thing with Joker and Tango and possibly Zedaph," the Brit replied, ducking under Skizz's arms with a D.O.T.S. projector and spirit box.

"You're not supposed to go alone. It's dangerous!" Skizz continued protectively. "Anything could happen that Scar can't help you with."

"It'll be fine, Skizz," Grian said petulantly. "The contractor said it's only gotten aggressive recently, so Scar and I should be able to handle it. We're big boys now, dad."

Skizz sighed at the nickname, rolling his eyes. "Fine. You have my number on speed-dial. I'm gonna need you to leave the address on a sheet of paper so I know where to find you if you're in trouble. Make sure you pack your own snacks and get Scar's too."

Grian grinned broadly. "Thanks, dad! Don't worry, we've got this."

Skizz smiled tightly, walking slowly back to his desk behind the glass cases containing some of their equipment. They grew up too fast, it seemed. Then again, he'd only begun working with them recently. The 'dad' nickname was sticking and he embraced it, despite being confused about its origins. He picked up his pen to continue writing out the details of their last nightmare investigation, including the paranormal intervention Impulse provided.

Skizz avoided putting more than vague details about the nature of the intervention, mostly because he didn't fully understand them himself. Impulse had demonstrated that he remembered nothing from his previous life, so including details like those were pointless, especially since the likelihood of seeing him again was incredibly low.

He looked up, his gaze swapping between Grian loading the van and his closed door. Scar still hadn't emerged, which was congruous with their weeklong behaviour except for the occasional nighttime contracts that were far less dangerous than nightmares (and were easier to write reports for). The difficulty of this report was describing the evidence and behaviour of the ghost so the hunters could remove it effectively. The only concrete evidence they had were spirit box (recorded on Scar's microphone), D.O.T.S. (recorded on camera footage), and salt interaction, which ruled out the wraith.