Langsyne

Tribeca, New York

Mrs. Romano knew her husband was dead. Not because the police had notified her, but because the man she gave the little boy back to told her that her husband was most likely dead.

"He took Cowboy's kid," he said

"And Cowboy's gonna do what Cowboy's got to do,"

The truth was that Mrs. Romano wanted her husband to die. The stupid prick had engaged in illegal activities for not only most of their marriage but most of their lives together. She was getting old, much like Carlos Mancini, and grew tired of the constant anxiety and stress that crime life bestowed upon their families. Jimmy Jr. was dead, Jimmy Sr. was dead, she was sure of it. She wouldn't tell the police about what the man who took the small blonde boy said.

She would be a widow.
A normal widow.
Thank, god.

When the police did arrive, she expected it - Marcos wasn't around to take the brunt of the conversation about Jimmy but he refused to be. He took off somewhere to instate New York.

"Mrs. Romano, we're sorry to inform you that your husband is dead"

Words that she couldn't wait to hear. She was able to act shocked and grieved enough to fool the detectives and police when they came to the door. If Cowboy had killed her husband, he deserved it. He should've let things go and he didn't. He paid the price for that. But her family wouldn't. All she knew is that the little boy Jimmy brought to their home was only a child, maybe five years old. He didn't deserve to be taken from his home.

Her husband's death was still under investigation, but she had a feeling that they weren't going to rush on that, considering all of his priors. New York State would be a better place without her husband in it.

She hadn't spoken to Carlos Mancini, but she didn't have to. She knew that they were on the same level of understanding. Finally, things would be over. There would be no more war. There would be no more drugs.

When she was asked if she had any idea who could've done this, she lied and told them she hadn't the slightest clue but that Jimmy Sr, had many enemies and it could have been any of them.

Finally, Mrs. Romano could live her life in peace.

*****

Mill Street Bar, New Jersey
December 15th
8:25 pm

"It ain't gonna be that bad, Cowboy - you used to do this all the time in Montana," Renegade put an encouraging hand on Austin's shoulder

"Just do it like ya did then,"

Austin swallowed, his blue eyes moving with the uneasiness in his throat.

"That was there, Ren - nobody knew me, now I got half the old Vandals in the bar and a bunch of people we know..."

"Cowboy," Ren interjects firmly

"You're a good musician, ya love music just about as much as ya love bikes, I know you do, just feel the music, man - let everything else wash away, didn't the Doobie Brothers say that? Listen to the music..." he teases

Austin pushed his long golden waves out of his face and nodded with a sink of his cheeks, grasping the neck of his guitar before picking it up.

"You've been through it, brother - let it out,"

Another nod from Austin as he slings the black Martin Guitar strap over his back.

"Wish y/n could be here, she'd be a calming source for me you know," Austin fiddled with the fretboard and played mindlessly as the echoes of the last band exited.