CHAPTER 24 : Bubble Goes The Drama Of Life

LAURENS POV

The mesh door swung open with a practiced ease announcing my arrival at Penny's.

 The familiar clang of dishes and the sizzle of the grill greeted me as I tossed my bag aside now worn and frayed from a year's worth of daily use.

 "Lauren, you're right on time today!" A deep gruff voice called out.

It was Grayham the man who had become both a mentor and a constant presence in my life over the past year.

I shot him a grin.

"Well, Grayham I wouldn't want to keep Gotham waiting for its favorite coffee."

He chuckled, acknowledging my quip.

 The kitchen staff gave me nods and smiles. 

They'd seen me transform from a hesitant newcomer to someone who could handle the bustling chaos with a newfound confidence.

As I tied my apron Grayham approached still wearing the same stern expression. 

"You've come a long way in a year, Lauren. But remember, there's always room for improvement." He quips back with a grin.

I nodded grateful for the acknowledgment. 

I moved towards the sink taking in the organized chaos around me. 

The rhythm of the kitchen, the clatter of utensils, and the hiss of the grill – it was a symphony that I had become a part of.

Fast forward four hours  and I found myself attacking a stubborn coffee stain on a table a task I seem to be constantly tackling.

 My hands moved with a fluidity born of experience and my eyes scanned the room checking for any lingering customers. 

That's when I heard Grayham's voice again.

"Blondie, come to my office."

I set the wet cloth aside and made my way to the office lingering for a moment outside.

 I tapped gently on the door and entered greeted by the familiar sight of bills and paperwork strewn about.

Grayham now more worn but still as dedicated as ever  looked up from a bill. "Sit down, Lauren."

I did as instructed curiosity etched on my face.

 He handed me an envelope "Your pay for the week."

I opened it, counting the bills. 

It was a routine by now.

 I noticed a slight discrepancy  I spoke up"Grayham, I think you shorted me 5 bucks."

He glanced at me over his glasses a smirk playing on his lips  "For  that smashed plate Deductions Lauren Deductions."

I sighed in mock defeat a playful smile on my face  "You're a tough boss, Grayham."

He chuckled "Keeps you on your toes doesn't it? Now get back to work."

As I left the office I couldn't help but feel a sense of accomplishment. 

I'd become a vital part of Penny's  a place I now considered my second home.

The rest of the day flew by in a whirl of activity. 

And just as I was wiping down the last table  the door chimed open.

 glance up from my table expecting another hungry customer.

 Instead  I find myself locking eyes with the unmistakable figure of  Robin.

 His presence is like a ripple through the calm of Penny's  a reminder of he extraordinary world that exists just beyond the mundane routines of my life.