CHAPTER 4 : Sleepy Daze

JASON TODD POV

I watch as Gotham wizzes past in its beautiful flurry of colors my anticipation gnawing at my brain.

the bat mobile stays silent with the occasional radio crackle informing of yet another crime in progress.

I huff out air loud enough to try and catch the big bats attention giving him side glances to see if it worked.

I huff again shrugging my shoulders slightly but don't get a reaction from the dark knight.

" where are you taking us?" I finally grumble glaring daggers into the back of the bats head.

batman quickly glances at me then at Lauren.

" somewhere " he replies curtly with no interest.

"that still doesn't answer my question" I grumble under my breath to myself.

I sigh and cross my arms a scowl on my face as I promptly lean the side of my head back on the window once again to the dark streets of Gotham.

my eyes drift to the reflection of Lauren that sits in the corner of the window I Feel my heart beat a little faster.

she has her eyes closed her body curled up in her seat her head moves about the window ledge her head sits on making her grumble slightly in her sleep.

I roll my eyes and shake my head how could she fall asleep in a time like this.

"what's your friends name" comes the startlingly low voice of batman.

"why should I tell you?" I question my voice defensive my body pricking up with height.

I couldn't tell but I'm sure I saw the bat roll his white shielded eyes.

" because" is all the bat tells me heaving a sigh.

I look at Lauren who sleeps softly with a mixed feeling.

should I really tell him? what if something bad happens?

" if I tell you...." I start my voice hesitant as I spare the back of the bats head a glance " promise nothing bad will happen to her" I threaten this last bit my eyes never leaving Laurens sleeping figure.

even though I have known this girl for a few hours I've come fond of her and feel an unexplainable need to protect her and make sure she is happy.

" you have my word " batman responded turning to give me a quick glance and hold his hand back extended out towards me a sign of concealment.

I take his leather hand and shake it.

" her name is Lauren Hampton she's 11 years old and that's all I know so far" I recall to him looking down at my fingers that now unconsciously fiddle together.

batman hums in reply and types Laurens name into a computer screen positioned in the consol.

a picture of Lauren pops up along with all her personal details.

I try to not nose at the information on the screen fighting with the urge inside me to look up from my lap.

this urge takes over and I soak in all the details about the mysterious girl displayed on the screen.

wow she lives a 30 minutes away from me.

she goes to a school not far from where we are now. Gotham priory.

her dads a defense lawyer cool.

oh.....

my eyes peel away from the screen and soften in sadness as I look at her then back at the screen.