"Mum..?" She sat up groggily, opening her eyes and rubbing the sleep off. "You usually let me sleep in... agh... what's changed?"

"You won't believe it, but... guess what Elvira brought in today~" Ruth cooed, waving the letter in front of her. Her daughters eyes landed on the red seal bearing the Hogwarts coat of arms. (Red because it looks better than purple. Smh)

"Is that..?" Forgetting all respect she was supposed to have towards her parental figures and suddenly seeming as though she wasn't tired in the slightest, (Y/n) quickly snatched the letter out of her mothers hands. Ruth didn't mind much but clicked her tongue.

"Your Hogwarts letter arrived, I've already taken gold out of the bank... Since we haven't gotten most of your stuff yet, what do you say we go on a little mother-daughter shopping trip later?" Ruth suggested, still excited to have the house to herself.

"Do you remember what we need to get?" (Y/n) asked curiously, looking up at her mother. She was doubtful on whether she did remember, as her mothers memory was known to be steadily getting worse.

"Nope, but it should be all in the letter!"

At these words, the young girl opened her letter and examined it thoroughly, reading aloud. "So, first years will require three sets of plain work robes... colored black... a pointed hat, black, for day wear... protective gloves... winter cloak... we need name tags at Hogwarts?"

"Yes you do. Now read out all the other stuff while I make a mental list in my head, in case you lose the letter." Ruth sat down on a chair in (Y/n)'s room, listing down all the things she needed to get. Her daughter began to list down books. "What else?"

"A wand, obviously... a cauldron, they have it all listed... you know what? You read it!"

Ruth scoffed and took the letter out of her hands. When she'd finished she nodded and tucked it safely into the robes she was currently wearing.

(Y/n) felt very excited when her mother said, "We go today, no?"

━━━━༻❁༺━━━━

When they got to Diagon Alley, (Y/n) looked around as they passed shops. It wasn't her first time coming here, but she still enjoyed it every time. Of course, the excitement of coming back had rather worn off by this point. The only excitement that remained was at the thought of attending Hogwarts.

Truth be told, (Y/n) would've by far preferred to have come on her own rather than with her mother. She felt that she would actually get things done faster this way, since her mother loved to dawdle.

"First let's get your robes." Ruth murmured as they passed a rather suspicious looking group of witches, one who appeared to be a hag. A few of them waved at her in a friendly manner as if they knew her from somewhere, but the others chided them for it.

(Y/n) was led into Madame Malkins Robes for All Occasions, as another boy entered right after her. She glanced at him for a brief moment, although didn't pay him too much attention. (Y/n) hated new faces. She had just spotted a familiar face.

She waved at him, and he glanced at her, looked away, looked back again and smiled. He waved slightly, although a witch was currently pinning up his long black robes. He was pale with a pointed face, so obviously this was none other than Draco Malfoy.