lily Luna chapter 8- Christmas at the burrow

Chapter 8- Christmas at the burrow

By the time we were all there the burrow was almost full and we were crowding around the main room. When lunch was ready we ended up with all the adults squashed around the table and all of the children sitting on the floor or on the sofas and armchairs around the mix and match of small tables from about the house. Lunch was delicious and traditional but each year there was more of us. We still had our presents to go after lunch. Eveyone was so excited and full of christmas cheer that presents were just passed around and opened before put into a bag for travelling. I recieved a knitted jumper and patchwork quilt with the Holyhead harpies logo on from my grandparents, Molly and Arthur Weasley. I gave them a tin of homemade fudge. I gave Ron and his family the same and recieved few books in return. A black and blue feather quill from George and his family was given to me in return for a box of chirstmas biscuits. Percy and his family (who didn't come for dinner but had delievered presents to the burrow yesterday got me a badge with the ministry of magic logo on and i was going to send them a packet of shortbread by owl. Charlie got me a Romanian bracelet and necklace which looked very expensive so i felt a bit guilty only getting him a box of bertie botts every flavour jellybeans. Bill and his family got me a bag of French chocolate and sweets and i handed over a tin of scones. I was pleased with my presents i had recieved and I think that they all were happy with the gifts i gave even though mum had made the treats a few days ago while i was asleep.

After opening our presents we were made to put our jumpers on. Mine was a blue and green one with a large, white L on it. I preferred it to last year's Dark green and brown one. I chatted to all my cousins and we all shared recent experiences together. I spent most of my time with Roxanne and Rose. I also talked to some of my aunts and uncles although not for long as we were all being dragged off in different directions to meet people. This was a good Christmas and as the evening arrived people began to leave. It was getting dark and we were the last there as Dad wanted to avoid the rush. We wrapped up warm again and held our present bags tightly before thanking our Grandparents and wishing them one last Merry Christmas. Large snow clouds caused it to become darker so Dad told us to hurry we watched Molly in the doorway to the empty burrow and made our way across their front garden. It was now snowing heavily so mum said ' i don't think its safe to dissaperate or use a portkey in this weather we best go back to Mum.' I held mums hand as we lead the way back to the burrow we stood in the porch and knocked on the door. Molly opened it and cheerily said 'welcome back so soon. I guess the weather is unsuitable to travel in.' We all glanced out the window and saw the blizzard of snow coming down. We were interupted after a few minutes by arthur saying 'I guess its another trip by floo.' We gathered round the old fireplace and mum went through firdt followed by me. Before i knew it i was back home in the familiar sitting room. With mum soon to be joined by James,Albus and Dad. Mum was just about to put all our hats, scarves,gloves, coats and boots away when she noticed lots of people walking past the front window.

It was not very late but it was very dark outside and many people were walking past and heading up to the church. Dad said "When I was little we always went to church on Christmas day with the dursleys and I think we should go now." Mum agreed and said "It's a lovely idea especially if we all went together." We quickly wrapped up warm again with the few items we had taken off and set off with the crowds. The boys were more reluctant but tagged along anyhow because mum and dad insisted. It was exciting to walk the streets with nearly everyone in the village. The little black iron gate was constantly open and being pushed. When we walked through the large church doors and sat in one of the back rows many people gasped at the thought of being with some of the greatest wizards of all time. We just smiled but when a short man clapped his hands and shouted "Silence!" the attention immediately flew over to him. It was not really a serious church service but more of a jolly Christmas one with lots of carols. Dad and Mum thought that the man was like Prof. Flitwick, their charms teacher. When the service had finished the man opened the roof and snow fell just like outside. We were one of the first to leave but we didn't go straight back home. instead we stood outside in the graveyard remembering my grandparents. on the way back harry and mum had a giggle about how dad came here many years ago with Hermione. We hardly ever went to church or visited the graveyard except for on October 31st when we meet Ron, Hermione, Rose and Hugo here to remember Dads parents Lily and James Potter.

When we arrived home i took off my stuff and grabbed my present bag before heading up to my room where i folded the quilt and put it at the end of my bed, and then I added the books to my many shelves. Afterwards I put the quill on my desk and pinned the badge to my pin board. My bracelet and necklace were hung off the jewellery stand on my desk. The bag of chocolate was placed on my desk too for another time.

Mum wasn't cooking very much because we had had a very big late lunch. Although she said it would be easy to make. ~When i returned she was rolling out the pastry for the pumpkin pasties she was making. I helped by putting the filling in and sealing them up. They didn't need long in the oven so mum had made lots of batches. There was enough for loads each and more but mum wanted some of them left to eat cold the next day too. I got out 5 plates and a basket to put them in. I loved the smell of pumpkin pasties at little carts along the streets but I loved the taste of mums more. The scent had obviously reached the attic because there was lots of movement of coming down the ladder. Trust my brother's to be noisy. Once the pasties were cooled slightly mum put them in the basket and I helped by carrying the plates through to the living room. Dad was attempting to light the fire muggle way and eventually managed it when mum got her wand from her back pocket and whispered 'INCENDIO'. Dad turned around and smiled as if he had managed it but however he knew mum had helped. We all munched away and discussed presents we got from the Weasleys.

It was now late and we were half asleep in our Weasley jumpers. Dad said we should head off to bed. I got ready for bed then put on my jumper again and took my quilt downstairs. I sat in the corner of the living room while my parents chatted. James and Albus thundered up the stairs and raced to get ready before coming down with their quilts. I had a Holyhead harpies one and the boys had Chuddly cannons ones. The boys came and sat next to me and then mum said that they should take a picture. Dad got the camera and took a photo of us all in our jumpers huddled with our quilts. We all looked very happy together. When we were all half asleep we headed upstairs and went to bed.

The fairy lights twinkled against the wallpaper and ceiling. It was a long time before I turned them off and when to sleep. I lay awake listening to my parents go to bed. They were talking about Hogwarts and then I heard my name. I couldn't hear much else because they were whispering and the snoring from next door was getting louder. I wanted to sleep but I just tossed and turned listening to the crackling of paper underneath my pillow. I slipped my hand under and carefully got hold of the envelope before opening it. I pulled out the sheet of parchment. It read:" Lily I want to treat you. come with me soon." there was no signature so I was confused. I expected that mum would go with me but the present was from lily. maybe she found this on the side and included It in her present. who knows......I dozed off into a world of question.