33- My Coming of Age

Start from the beginning

"Brother... may I ask for something?"

Elric spins me around and nods. "What may you need? I've already had a gift picked out."

"After my party and when you leave, I was hoping you could give me the weekend to have full control of the house." I say boldly. While I am the daughter of the Duke and I control the servants, there are some things I cannot do because I am a woman. It's unfair, but that's the law against us. But, in moments of need, the Lady of the House can assume full control.

"Why?" Elric asks.

"After my party, you'll be busy with the plan and dealing with the aftermath.... If something comes up, an issue occurs, I don't want to bother you when I can do it. I'll return the ring when you ask for it." I say.

I want it because of the bastard child that will make herself known tonight. Last year, my father left Elric, as the one with the authority to deal with her and he let her get away with a lot of things. However, if he gives me his power for now, I can control her before it's too late. I can place her in a room far away, limit her interaction with the help and my father. I can start to change my fate.

Elric nods. "Of course, it makes sense. I will speak to our butler who should be around here. If you need any help, reach out to him."

I smile and thank him as he hands me the ring off his finger. It's the family ring, a signal of who runs the house. Our father owns the true ring, but this is a ring to show the next heir. I tell him I'll return it to him whenever he asks and he nods and compliments me, changing the conversation.

Our dance finishes and I pause when I see the Bulnan Chief offer his hand. He greets my brother who greets him back with a polite nod. Elric guides my hand to the Chief's and steps away. The Chief initiates the dance and I hold him accordingly.

"Happy birthday," he smiles down at me. I place a smile on my lips, looking around the room and seeing the commotion start.

"Thank you. I take it the meeting with the King went well?" After last night, there was an impromptu meeting with all the Masters. No one really dissented in working with the Bulnan chief. We are scientists, and if there's new information to learn, we scientists want to learn it all. Milo had received a letter from the Pope that his council had also agreed, so the three of them met with the King in the early morning.

Milo had sent me a letter after his meeting, telling me of the good news. While there are members that make up Parliament, there are a few strong individuals who make up the Imperial Council who handle big decisions, such as putting a person in Parliament. There are a few governmental heads, such as agriculture, treasurer, and a few more names I don't care to remember. I never interacted with them in the past. The Captains of the armies are also on the Imperial council, but seeing as Duke Stiling was in custody, the meeting had gone on without him.

All the members were interested in seeing what will happen when they let a Bulnan Chief in Parliament. Milo and I think they they were more interested in the weaponry that can be used, weaponry to match the strength of a dragon. I know there will be an inevitable war that had many deaths. Hopefully, many lives will be saved with this new development.

"Yes," The Chief smiles. "You are looking at a man who has a seat in Parliament. You've taken care of one half of your contract."

I nod, not showing the audience who are eagerly watching how the foreigner interacts with me. "How are you enjoying the party?" I ask.

"It's been nice introducing myself to the interested nobles." The Chief hums before twirling me. I gasp, the twirl unexpected but he catches me without making me look like a fool.