33- My Coming of Age

Start from the beginning

Ivan takes my hand and I follow him to the side where the King makes an announcement. Usually the father or man of the house makes a speech about the lady who has just turned of age. However, since my future father- in- law is the King, he speaks of me. I listen to the generic speech, hearing no special praise. I keep the smile on my face, staring into the crowd.

In the back corner, I find a young woman who has pink hair. She hides behind her uncle, but I can recognize her immediately. I keep my eyes moving, pretending I do not recognize the devil herself. I take a deep breath, hearing the King say he will move the speeches to the end of the party.

The crowd murmurs amongst themselves. It's typical for the speeches to be presented in the beginning, but this is when Catherina makes herself known. I'd rather for her to speak at the end of the party so I can save myself the humiliation the rest of the night. I've asked the King for that request, and I'm happy to hear he obliged.

Once his speech is done, the music starts and it's my cue to start the first dance with Ivan. He does his Princely duty by dancing with me. He initiates properly and holds me as he should. I take notice how he's behaving cordially. I let him move me around, remembering how he feared his father before the King had passed away.

I twirl, and try to think of a way to get closer to the King. I look over the Prince's shoulder as he holds me tight. He doesn't whisper, a young couple would normally whisper sweet nothings to each other. However, we don't like each other. I force a smile on my face, cheeks burning at the use.

I scan the crowd with a bored gaze and I make eye contact with the other Prince. Prince Adrian is standing to the side next to Duke Driscol. I feel his burning gaze and instead look at the Duke who has surprisingly come. He normally refuses every invitation. He has his dark glasses on, but I can still tell we are making eye contact. I swallow, desperately wanting to know how Sir Pine is doing.

However, the song ends and the Prince turns me around for a final spin.

I quickly break free of his grasp, thankful that I no longer have to be near him for the rest of the night. We've done our duties and he may do whatever he wants. I take a step back and turn, freezing at the man who extends his hand toward me, an invitation for a dance.

I look at my Father, a tall man with matching white hair, a signal that we are bonded. His green eyes look me up and down before he looks at his own hand. I do what any daughter would do and dance with him. The music starts once again and other couples join us on the dance floor. I follow my Father's lead, surprised he knows how to dance. I know he never dance with our mother, so there could have only been one person he danced with.

I shake that thought from my head and steal a quick look at my Father. He looks more refreshed now that Elric is helping him run the house. Elric is learning of his duties to the house, trying to help our Father which means he wants to take over soon, an accomplishment he didn't pursue in the past. We don't speak and I stop dancing when I see Elric.

He interrupts us, asking for a dance and my father quickly gives me away. I don't mind, dancing with Elric with a true smile on my face. He speaks to me first, telling me I look pretty and that I deserved this celebration.

"Everything will happen tonight," Elric whispers in my ear. I nod my head, knowing his plan will come to fruition today.

Usually after a big party, people tend to continue the festivities later in the night. We are betting on people going to the secret auction where the party will be. The traps have been laid, we just need to get Duke Dolan there.

I nod my head. "Do you need anything from me? Any help?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "No, enjoy your birthday. You deserve it."

Not Giving Into FateOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara