Chapter 11

~the bear man~

About five days had passed since the eagles saved us. The remaking pack of Orcs, wargs, and Azog was hunting us. We had stopped for a rapid camp, and Thorin had sent me into the woods to track the pack. I knew they were following us. Somehow, Bilbo joined me. The pore hobbit was out of breath and jumped behind a rock with me. I looked up at the mountains before the snow fell on Azog. He saw what I did, and we raced back to the dwarfs.

     When we turned, I saw a giant bear-looking thing moving to our right. Bilbo saw it, too, and he was terrified by the look of it. It was huge, unnatural, and hairy. We continued slowly and backed away before rushing towards the dwarves until we heard a loud noise. I could see that Bilbo wanted to catch his breath and approach him. Thorin ran to us in despair.

     "How close is the pack?" Thorin asked as some dwarves approached us, listening carefully to our conversation.

      "Too close." Bilbo panted.

      "Could be no more than 9 miles. But that is not the worst of it," He continued.

     "Have the Orcs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asked. I shook my head.

     "Not yet, but we have another problem." Bilbo tried to explain, but Gandalf interrupted him mid-sentence.

     "Did they see you? They saw you", He immediately assumed frantically.

     "No, that's not it," I tried to explain, moving the tiny hairs on my face that didn't fit into the long braid that lay down my back.

     "Good, what did I tell you? Quite as a mouse. Excellent burglar material," Ada snapped.

     "Will you just listen?" I raised my voice before beckoning the halfling to continue.

      "I'm trying to tell you something else is out there." Before Gandalf could respond quickly, Bilbo finished his words, and the dwarves rushed back and forth.

     "What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf asked, feeling someone's gaze piercing through me. I looked around slowly, saw Kili looking at me, and quickly turned to Gandalf.

     "Ye- yes, but bigger," Bilbo answered before I added on,

     "Much bigger," I said,  wondering why Kili was looking at me. I explained what was going on. Did it mean nothing? Am I overthinking, or am I just acting like an idiot?

     "You knew about this beast?" Bofur questioned, knocking me out of my way while I looked for answers from Gandalf.

     "I say we double back."

     "A pack of Orcs'll run us down." My blood boils in anger at the thought of the name Azog.

      "I don't think we are ready to face those godforsaken creatures." Everyone nodded in agreement, mumbling against each other.

     "There is a house not far from here where we might take refuge.", Gandalf stated reassuringly as I sighed in satisfaction. I knew who he was talking about now. The beast was not a beast.

    "Whose house?" Thorin questioned a bit disrespectfully. "Are they friend or foe?"

     "Neither," I  replied as I looked at him,    

     "He will help us," Gandalf paused as I waited for him to continue.

    "He will kill us." I took a deep breath as I watched Thorin, seeing him scoff with an eye roll.

     "What choice do we have?" Thorin moaned angrily. Suddenly, we heard a roar just behind us.

      "None."