Chapter10: Tangible Thoughts

Start from the beginning

[An illustration of the flame]

She took up a taijutsu stance. It looked like a traditional clan technique, unfamiliar to the shinobi that were watching. Kakashi followed with his own stance.

The purple thing appeared on her chest as well, bursting to life from nothing at all. It immediately crept up until it engulfed the right side of her neck.

Seeing this, Kakashi frowned, this was the fifth time she pulled out a trick from nowhere. He adopted a taijutsu stance, ready to fight off any bizarre offence she had to offer.

"It's a flame, obviously.", Anko replied as if it was clear as day.

It wasn't. It really wasn't.

Genma glanced at her sidelong, clearly annoyed, but said nothing. He turned his gaze back to the match.

It was the purple flame jutsu from the reports, Ibiki realised, but not the same as what was reported. On edge, and somewhat excited, he perked up in his seat.

The flame burned with a low hriisss, a searing heat took over the air around Tama. Her Sharingan spun slowly as she tried hard to regulate her chakra. She broke into a cold sweat as her chakra began to surge, but she didn't stop.

The entire place seemed to fall silent as Suzume shifted her weight to her left foot. She tucked her right foot as she leapt forward. Tucking her left arm and twisting her abdomen to the left, she threw a blazing punch at Kakashi.

She aimed for the area below the neck, the force of her jutsu so great that the flame grew hot enough to burn Kakashi's jacket before any contact was made.

Kakashi leapt backwards, barely salvaging what little was left of his garment. He landed on his feet, anticipating another attack.

Ibiki shot to his feet in anticipation, but the hit never landed.

No. Instead, the girl changed her projectile at the very last second. She threw her flame at the far wall behind her mentor, much to his relief.

Silence took over the place, for real this time. People stopped to watch. At this point, it was difficult to say what colour the flame was. The wall burned quickly before the fire dispersed, leaving it black with soot. She fell forward.

Kakashi seemed to freeze for a second before catching the girl. She went limp in his arms, in pain and exhausted.

"Hey-"

He was cut off by the sound of hissing. The smell of something burning filled his nostrils. The girl wiped away a red tear.

"Let's take a break...", she trailed off, barely awake. She guided the man, making him bring her to the floor where she laid down on her back.

"Is your blood burning?", he asked incredulously. She was bleeding from the eyes again, her blood ablaze with purple-gren flames. Kakashi knelt on one knee, and tried to wipe the tears with a gloved hand. What was happening?

"Yes. It only stings a little, so don't worry.", Tama whispered. Her lips formed the shadow of a smile, like she was enjoying the situation.

She must not have been in pain, Kakashi thought, his lips forming a thin line.

"I get a bit dizzy when I use this jutsu," she said. She looked up at him with barely open eyes, her sharingan long gone from sight. "My chakra goes all over the place."

He blinked. It never occurred to him that she had little control over her chakra. He thought back to the conversation he had with Ibiki, months ago. The man didn't explain much about excatly what Tama knew how to do. He assumed that she was like other shinobi her age.