Chapter 23: How Does This Fit into My Memoirs?

Начните с самого начала

"I mean, what's with that eerie chain on his chest? Is that a costume?" Miya whispered, and Ichigo came to a sudden stop.

Without hesitation, he grabbed Orihime's arm and pulled her behind him. Miya flinched and looked around in shock, but Ichigo's gaze was fixed on his classmate.

"Who are you?"

Miya looked behind her, but there was only a wall. She turned back to Ichigo, her eyes widening.

"Me? But, Kurosaki-kun, we've been in the same class for years. What are you talking about?"

"Kurosaki-kun," Orihime pushed past him with a furrowed brow.

"Orihime, stay—"

"Can't you see she's scared?"

Ichigo clenched his fists. Miya had been in his class for so many years and had lived in Karakura for ages. If this was really Miya standing before them, why could she suddenly see a spirit?

"Maybe it's happening to her like it did to us," Orihime whispered, but Ichigo pushed her back.

"Perhaps powers were awakened in her after everything that happened."

"But why now, when it's all over? It doesn't make sense."

"What are you two talking about? You're scaring me," Miya exclaimed.

"The guy you see over there, he's not human," Ichigo decided to confront it. Miya's eyes widened in shock. "What? What are you talking about? He looks eerie, but he's definitely a human..." She became slower with each word she spoke, as if she doubted her statement.

"But, but, what does all of this mean? You can see him too, can't you? What's going on here? Oh, I know. This must be a dream, right? A strange dream."

Miya started laughing, but it sounded desperate. She turned around and walked away, but Ichigo chased after her and grabbed her arm.

"Ouch – for a dream, that hurts quite a bit," she complained, trying to free herself from Ichigo's grasp.

"Kurosaki-kun!" Orihime's voice made Ichigo turn around. The spirit was still standing quietly in his corner, but something appeared behind it, making Ichigo flinch.

A Hollow. After so many weeks of peace, a Hollow had appeared. Since his battle with Aizen, his powers had been weakened, and Urahara had made it clear that it would take a while for him to recover from the fight. But he had felt all along that he wouldn't be able to rest as long as he needed.

"Use it wisely," he heard the voice of the white-haired Captain in his head. Ichigo looked at his substitute Shinigami badge. "Alright, Ukitake, I'll use it wisely. Promise!" He reached for it and activated the magic inherent in the badge. Within a fraction of a second, he felt the familiar tug in his chest.

Orihime reacted skillfully, catching his body before it hit the ground.

"Thank you, Orihime. Protect my body and Miya."

"Yes, Kurosaki-kun."

"What on earth," Miya exclaimed in shock, but Ichigo had no time. He drew Zangetsu and approached the Hollow, which resembled a large wolf.

His Reiatsu was still greatly weakened, but it should be enough for this one. Ichigo didn't even need to use all of his abilities to release the Hollow from its torment after a few minutes.

After it dissolved, Ichigo walked past the other spirit and gave it a comforting touch with the hilt of his Zanpakuto. "Safe travels," he murmured and returned to Orihime and their classmate sitting on the ground, staring up at him with wide eyes.