Chapter 19 One Hundred Years Without You - Part 10: The Soul Kings Offer

Start from the beginning

"I see Kirio has already relieved you of the Ouken," the King observed, and now, for the first time, Sato met his gaze. I could sense that he wanted to say something, but the King didn't allow him to speak.

"You know the consequences. Now, go."

"My King, I-"

"I said, go."

"But Akari-"

"I will take care of her. Now, go, before I lose my patience, Sato."

Sato's anger was palpable.

"Yes, my King," he said softly, rose, and left me alone, still kneeling in front of the King. My heart raced wildly in my chest.

"Rise, Akari Miyazaki."

I obeyed and waited for the King to speak, but he seemed to be regarding me through the intricate pattern of his mask.

The gate closed behind us. Sato was gone.

"Bring us some food. Come, Akari. You must be hungry."

I tilted my head in confusion. The King turned and circled his throne, revealing a long dining table behind it. Servants hurried to set the table with delicious dishes and several carafes filled with liquids of various colors.

The King seated himself and gestured to the chair beside him. Two servants stood at the ready.

"Wine?" one asked. I was too taken aback to do anything but nod. My glass was filled with wine, and I surveyed the array of dishes spread before me.

"Go ahead and eat," the King reassured me, but I bit my lip.

"Your Majesty, forgive me if I seem ungrateful. It's just that Sato has helped me a lot; he seems like a good guy... I don't know what order of yours he disobeyed, but it would greatly trouble me if he faced any difficulties because of me."

A soft laugh emanated from beneath the mask, tinged with amusement.

"Don't worry, Akari. I know Sato has a good heart, and everything he did had a good reason. Yet, I can't simply ignore that he knowingly defied a direct order from me. He knew the consequences and will now have to bear them. But in the end, he'll be content because he will get what he desires."

I tilted my head, trying to discern something through the mesh of his facial mask. I felt like I glimpsed a smile, yet it could have been just my imagination.

"Sato's desire?" I asked, and the King reached for his wine glass, lifted it to his lips, and drank without exposing even a millimeter of skin.

The King set his glass down, and I sensed he was scrutinizing me closely now.

"Sosuke Aizen," he said, and I froze.

"He's also a thorn in my side."

I swallowed.

"So, Aizen is powerful enough that even you have heard of his doings?" My voice was barely a whisper.

The King made a noise akin to a chuckle.

"For this, I might have to elaborate a bit. Do you know the origin story of the Soul Society, Akari?"

I didn't need much time to ponder.

"It's said that many millennia ago, when the world came into being, there existed only one dimension. Life flourished and spread. More and more beings came into the world, and they began to war. But there was no death, so the weak were not killed but absorbed by the strong. Powerful warriors emerged, spreading out, turning the world into a gruesome battlefield. Those who longed for peace joined forces. They united their souls, giving birth to the Almighty, the Soul King. He created the Soul Society, Hueco Mundo, and the Underworld. He drew a boundary between these three realms and the realm of the living. Thus, death came into being. The Almighty took it upon himself to guide souls in their transition, bringing order to the world. However, as souls increased, the Almighty began to share his knowledge and abilities with those he deemed pure enough. Thus, the first Shinigami came into existence. For several years, the Almighty, the Soul King, accompanied the Shinigami in their work, serving as their commander, until he realized it was time for him to withdraw and leave them to their own devices. He created the dimension zero, where he retreated, leaving behind only representatives of the Central 46 who were to uphold his will and laws in the Soul Society."