Spells of the Heart* Part Two (A Medieval AU Story)

Start from the beginning

I stand in front of my full length mirror, admiring myself. I'm actually getting married!

My maid makes sure my hair is in place. "I can't believe you are marrying someone you only just met."

My other maid places a veil on my head. "Forgive me, but I thought you were secretly courting Sir Kurapika."

I furrow my brow. "Sir who?"

___

Kurapika

The deep howling of hungry wolves surrounds me as I run through the forest.

I have to stop to catch my breath. I breathe heavily while resting my hands on my thighs. The wolves are coming closer. I can feel their presence. Goosebumps erupt on my skin, causing me to shiver.

"Hello?" a female voice calls out to me.

I turn my head. "Hello? Is someone there?"

I straighten my posture and walk toward the voice. My eyes widen when I see a silhouette of a young woman hiding behind a tree.

I can feel exhaustion deep within my bones. I barely have enough energy to make it out alive, let alone save another person. Without a horse or a sword, I don't know how I'm going to survive. However, I can't just leave another human out here alone. I must help her...because that's what I do. I help people.

I turn around so my back is facing her. "Here...hop on. Let's get you out of here."

I fall to the ground as soon as we arrive on safe land. My eyes fall shut.

___

My head throbs. I slowly open my eyes, finding myself in an unfamiliar room. I sit up in bed, rubbing my temples. The pain radiates all the way down to the distal phalanges of my feet. I turn my head and notice a pitcher of water on the nightstand. The corners of my lips move upward as I reach to fill the cup beside it.

I gulp it down and refill my cup.

"Ahh..." I wipe my mouth with my hand, taking in my surroundings.

Someone lightly knocks on the door.

"Come in," I say.

A beautiful woman walks in and sits next to me on the bed. Her blue hair cascades down her back and I immediately notice the crown sitting on her head.

"Uh...uh...pardon my rudeness, Your Royal Highness." I stand up and bow.

She giggles. "You don't have to be so formal. After all, you did save my life."

"Wait." I sit back down next to her. "You were the one I found in the forest?"

She nods.

"What were you doing out there?"

Sadness crosses her face. Her eyes are moist. "I...I was trying to run away."

"But...why?"

"Ever since my mother died, my father has kept me locked up inside this castle. I want to be free."

I can feel blood dripping from my heart.

"Princess, please. Don't run away. It's dangerous out there. Especially for a beautiful princess such as yourself."

She offers me a smile. "Don't worry. I was already reprimanded by my father."

I place my hand over hers. "I'm sorry to hear that."

She waves me off. "Oh, it was nothing. I just have to make sure you're with me at all times."

I lean forward. "Excuse me? Did I hear you correctly?"