June opened her mouth, but shut it abruptly, her gaze completely lost, not understanding what had led Daisy to speak to her like that. She worried, thinking that maybe her friend was having a bad day, recalling how Iratxe once snapped because her mother had fallen seriously ill.

She remained silent during the remaining classes, hoping things would improve as the day progressed. While waiting for the teacher before the next class before recess, she turned to face Daisy.

"Are you feeling better? My friend Iratxe always says I'm good at listening," innocent June said.

Daisy snorted. "I don't like you, so I don't care if you can listen or not, or that Irania girl."

"It's Iratxe, not Irania; they're two different names," June corrected, knowing how much it bothered her friend Iratxe when she wasn't called by her name. "Don't worry, I know it's hard to pronounce; it means fern, and it's from the Basque Country."

"I don't care," Daisy crossed her arms. "Just leave me alone."

"I don't know what I've done to you, Daisy," said June. "Did I say something that upset you? I'm sorry, I didn't realize."

"I don't like you; I know what you're doing, and that's being a bad person. I don't like bad people, and I'm not friends with bad people."

"I'm not bad," June raised her voice, annoyed. Her whole life, as far back as she could remember, she had been told she was bad, and she wasn't. She didn't understand why Daisy was doing this to her.

"Yes, you are; you're a phony. You're not Scarlett Johansson's lost girl. What you're doing is wrong. How much money are your parents trying to get out of this?"

June tilted her head. "I don't understand."

"Yeah, I don't know who you are, but you're not who you say you are," Daisy insisted as if she knew something that June herself was unaware of.

June, who had struggled to confront and accept her identity, shook her head repeatedly. She wasn't Althea, and now Daisy was telling her she wasn't June either.

"I'm June Johansson," June replied.

"No, you're not," Daisy said.

"I am, I'm June Johansson," June insisted, nodding. "Mom told me."

"Who is your mom?"

"Scarlett."

"Lies! You're a liar," Daisy shouted.

"You're the liar!" June raised her voice. "I don't like you as a friend anymore, and I'm never going to hang out with you again." She crossed her arms, pressing her lips together.

Daisy pushed her when June didn't expect it, and she ended up on the floor. She didn't hit her head on the ground because her backpack cushioned the fall from the chair, as did the desk behind her.

The teacher entered, encountering the peculiar scene. "Girls, what's going on?" She approached to help June up, making sure she was okay.

"June won't stop bothering me," Daisy complained.

"Daisy, that's no reason to hurt a classmate. We don't push, understood?"

"I'm sorry," Daisy lowered her head. "But she won't leave me alone," she grumbled under her breath.

"June, don't bother Daisy," the teacher added.

June remained silent for the rest of the class. When the teacher left the room, bits of paper started raining down on her from behind, and when she looked, everyone was laughing, but she didn't know where it was coming from. Daisy, far from helping, ignored her again. June swallowed hard, holding back tears. She didn't like that school at all, and she didn't have her best friends to make her feel good, to make her feel less lonely, or to defend her.