Seven

Hayden

"No, I said the Audi. Not... no! The newest sports car for Audi."

I was on the phone with a car dealer who I swore was half deaf.

I sat at the bar outside of my kitchen, with my phone in one hand. I was tapping my credit card on the table with the other.

When the dealer finished explaining everything, he named the vehicle I wanted and the price.

"Yes, sir. That's what I want. Okay, thanks." I dismissed the call and groaned, setting my phone down. I had already signed the paperwork for the new sports car, but they got it wrong, so I had to tell them again which one I wanted. I dragged the binder with all of the wedding information in it over towards me. I opened it and flipped through the pages. "Right. Engagement pictures tomorrow," I said to myself.

I sighed and unclipped the binder to pull out the papers for our honeymoon. We were going to Hilton Head island in South Carolina. We just wanted to go somewhere peaceful for several days before we had to get back to work.

I yelled when Natalie came up behind me and laced her arms around my neck. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw it was her. "Thank goodness, it's you."

"It's me." She kissed me and sat in my lap. "So. I figured we could stay in an ocean-side condo in Hilton Head. How would you like that?"

I hesitated. "Natalie. We both love the beach, but what if while we're there there's a storm, and it-"

"Hayden! Nothing's going to happen like that. Please, please, please, you'll love it! Please?"

"Fine..." I had already bought two plane tickets, and I logged onto my laptop and rented a ocean-side condo in Hilton Head just like she wanted. We would stay for two weeks. "So, we'll come home and stay the night here, and then leave the next morning. Right?"

Natalie nodded and laid her head on my shoulder.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too," she said back. She nuzzled her head into the crook of my neck.

"Ah, I could sit here all day. But we have things to do."

"Did you call the car dealer?" she asked me. She was already starting to sound like my wife.

"Yes, darling, I called the car dealer," I sighed.

"Good. What did they say?"

"They ordered the Audi for me. And don't worry, I already got the whole SUV thing for you covered."

"Thank you."

"Yeah, no problem." Natalie was absolutely sure we would eventually have kids, so she wanted a bigger car. She wanted the Toyota Sequoia, the one with TV's in it and a bunch of room.

Natalie shifted positions so she was facing me, still sitting in my lap. She set her elbows on the counter behind her. I ran my fingers through her hair.

"Are you sure?" I asked quietly.

"Sure about what?"

"About kids." I looked up at her.

"Why are you so worried about it? It could be years before we have kids."

"I'm just...nervous, I guess. I really want kids, but I don't know what it would be like."

"Let's see if any of our friends are going out on Friday. We can babysit their kids."

"Natalie, which friends of ours have kids? No one."