III

• • ¥ • •

• • ¥ • •

Kyari Rose Dupré

October 29th

... a few weeks later

Fall came, chilling the Houston air, and exciting all the residents- including Yori. With Halloween two days away, the exterior of our home was draped in spooky decorations, and the interior matching. Miyori caught a little bug from the weather changing, so we played hooky from school, taking the day to pamper ourselves and watch Halloween movies.

On our target run, I picked up a couple of things to knock out her cold and the cutest matching pajamas for us. We were now dressed in the spooky ensembles, under a warm blanket, and enjoying Twitches. My attention would shift from the movie to the last encounter Meiko and I had often. I found myself questioning my actions, and my lack of. Something was holding me back from being vulnerable with him, but I couldn't place my finger on it.

We've lacked communication the weeks leading up to today. Miyori has her own iPad with his contact information, making the only time I'd even hear his voice being through their conversations. Today, he decided to text me though. My heart thudded out my chest once his name draped my phone screen, but quickly fell once I'd read the message, only realizing he was requesting Yori to stay with him this weekend to spend time with him and participate in holiday activities. The last message we shared was him letting me know he'd get her from me tonight, so we busied ourselves in the meantime with mommy-daughter bonding.

"Mama, how they not know they sista's?" Yori's big brown eyes peered into mine, as innocence adorned her. My baby truly made my heart swell with every action she'd perform. A light giggle escaped my lips as two of my fingers swept over her cheek lightly.

"They didn't have the same mommy and daddy growing up baby." I tried to explain the situation as simply as I could, knowing it could get too complex for her little mind.

"But, mama they look just the same!" Yori's eyebrow's furrowed together, and her little face frowned in exasperation. The corners of my mouth twisted to refrain from laughing.

"Yes, Yori. You are absolutely right, babygirl." Yori's freshly braided ponytails shook before her small hand found comfort under her chin, and her focus regained on the movie. I placed a small kiss on the temple of her forehead, placing my focus back on the movie.

Time passed and the scene where twins did their little "Go Twitches" dance had Yori in a fit of laughter. She just thought it was so funny, and couldn't resist mimicking the song and dance, urging me to join along. We stood to our feet, now dancing and chanting the words, before our movement halted when knocks sounded at the door.

"Mama! Is that my daddy?!" Excitement laced her words, her eyes now bigger than before and the widest smile adorned her lips. Shaking my head, I giggled softly as my feet shuffled to the door.