Ch. 15: You should be happy

Start from the beginning

"Besides, what?" Ben asked, picking up what Anthony hoped he dropped and lost forever.

"Besides..." Anthony closed his eyes and whispered just for Ben's safe ears. "What does it matter if my family comes or not. This isn't a real engagement."

Throwing Anthony a curveball, Ben laughed on the other side of the phone. "I'm sorry I'm the one to tell you this, but you're really engaged, Anthony."

"I know." Anthony sighed. "It's just... I didn't throw the party for the engagement."

"Sounds like your priorities are warped."

"Maybe if this was a normal engagement, I'd care more. Maybe I'd dust off my sentimental bones."

"Is Knox that awful? You don't even want to celebrate a little bit?"

Anthony opened his mouth, and he couldn't do it. He couldn't lie. It was a golden rule that if you had nothing nice to say, he shouldn't say anything at all... but Anthony was more afraid of what he could say, than what he'd admit.

"I know you didn't plan for it, but... this is still your life, Anthony. You should be happy."

Anthony felt a slight breeze at first, and then a looming presence. As he turned to find Knox, Knox took the phone out of his hand. He declared, "I found you."

"I wasn't hiding."

Knox smiled a little and shook his head. He spoke into the phone, "Hello, I'm sorry to end this conversation, but Anthony owes me a dance."

Anthony could just hear Ben say, "He's all yours."

"For better or worse," Knox said like a comedian, and Anthony withheld an eye roll. He took his phone back, but Knox didn't lower his hand. He still held it out for Anthony to take like the forbidden golden apple. Anthony dropped his hand into Knox's, who strung their fingers together and led him back into the party. People paused in the middle of their conversations to bow their heads. He brought Anthony to the dance floor and, despite the crowd already dancing, the musicians ended the song, letting it fade and swell back up.

"For just this dance," Knox asked, drawing Anthony's waist in, and holding his hand up. "Can you relinquish some control? Just relax and let me lead."

Anthony tightened his jaw, but after a breath, he could feel his tension release. "Fine."

"Thank you, Anthony, you're too kind," Knox said so calmly. It was dawning on Anthony why so many people thought he was annoying. Sarcasm was only fun when Anthony did it.

"Is there anything I can say or do for you," Knox said, leading Anthony in this dance. Their feet gliding across the floor. "To assure you that you can trust me?"

"Is Flynn going to be a problem?"

"No."

"Doesn't seem that way."

"We broke up. I've had time to grieve and accept it. Flynn has been just fine without me and, to be honest, you successfully scared him, I think."

"I won't apologize to him."

"I know, because you're not sorry. I'm not totally surprised. You're a little scary, Anthony Ventura," Knox said in amusement. Anthony didn't know what to say, and Knox's smile turned a little sad. "I thought things were going well between us and then, you suddenly shut me out. Somehow, I'd like to get back to that, if that's okay."

Everybody had a weakness.

It seemed Anthony's was Knox's face, especially when it looked that miserable.