Ch. 13: This is childish

Comenzar desde el principio

Anthony peaked at Knox's lips. Even just looking at his face gave Anthony's flashbacks to kissing on his leather couch. He was looking more at Knox's lips when he talked than his eyes. "No. This..." Anthony tore himself away and looked back at the mirror again, pretending to fix his perfectly fine curls. "This is for your convenience and the convenience of the staff that have to keep cleaning the blood out of our clothes." Anthony practiced this speech. He prepared to explain himself from all angles. One of the only good things about being similar to Knox was that Anthony knew what he'd have a problem with the most.

"And as for Milan," Anthony said. "I needed him. I can't trust my attendant. He's a spy."

Knox frowned. "I know, but my mother is just worried. Nino really upset her. She's looking out for me—"

"I'm handling it my way," Anthony cut him off. "After tonight, I think we'll have a civilized conversation and stop tiptoeing around it. We'll be married, so we have to get along somehow. Even if it's just a little bit."

Knox shook his head, seemingly giving up. The moment he was out of view, Anthony let out a sigh. He survived. All that worrying and he survived. Anthony could do this. He just needed to stay indifferent and eventually, Knox would stop thinking about him.

Suddenly, the door opened again, and Anthony jumped. With his brow narrowed, Knox appeared again to ask, "And you're being honest with me? I want..." He shook his head. "I don't want us to become a couple that doesn't talk to each other."

He said that, but he always took the words right out of Anthony's mouth.

So Anthony just nodded.

"Let's go then," Knox said and as he left, he said, "I guess I'll just have to be surprised by this party... what kind of party is this anyways?"

***

The Labyrinth was the biggest hotel Anthony could book on such short notice with the help of his name and his friend Phoebe's connections. Once the car stopped, Anthony opened the door to get out, but Knox snatched his arm.

"What is this?" Knox asked, his voice dangerously low.

"Congrats," Anthony stated. "Tonight is our engagement party." Anthony took back his arm and got out of the car. So late, the old hotel was lit up by the lamplight, the scones, and the brilliant golden light from the inside. It was all lush textiles, detailed textures, and ornate art and statues.

"This is beyond reckless," Knox almost shouted until he noticed other guests pulling up. His eyes widened the moment he realized they were the head of the neighboring coven and quickly bowed as they passed. Once they were out of sight, Knox cursed. Hurrying around the car, Knox grabbed Anthony's arm again. "There is a curfew, Anthony. You have added to the pool of vampires those monsters can take out."

As another pair of guests passed, Knox and Anthony bowed and greeted them again. Sighing out of frustration, Knox grabbed Anthony's hand and pulled him into the lobby, hiding them behind a large potted plant and lamp. "Are you done?"

"No, I am not," Knox stated, crossing his arms. "You sent my mother to the wrong location. You brought us here as if I wouldn't know about another party happening here tonight."

Anthony steeled his expression.

Of course, Knox knew about Flynn's party.

He must've been invited.

Not only was this the most esteemed hotel, it was also the place Flynn was holding his little soiree, but Anthony made sure their ballroom was bigger. He made the staff preferred to be paid a higher wage by Anthony then slum it at Flynn's party.

Anthony rolled his shoulders back and held his head high. "You forget who you're engaged to. I'm Anthony Ventura. Ventura means good fortune, so you should feel lucky to have someone that has already thought of everything."

"Everything?"

"Yes. I have already handled your entire grocery list of complaints. The coven is aware of the curfew. The guests have rooms tonight. Including us. I didn't send your mother to the wrong place. I told Bertie the wrong place and if she went there on her own, that was her choice. If she asked me about it, I would've told her the truth. But I left her with flowers as an apology for the confusion."

"What else? What about Flynn?"

"What about him?"

"This is childish," Knox said, pulling away from the conversation and from Anthony. He walked out from their hiding place but stopped halfway inside of the light to turn back around. "I will play your dutiful fiancé tonight," he said, and the fact his beautiful voice was so low with so much grit grated Anthony's ears. Knox pointed a warning finger at Anthony. "But I need your word that you won't mess with my mother again."

"I won't," Anthony whispered, truly feeling their differences in this moment, not just their height or age, but Knox's rank, his power as a vampire that makes the air thick around him, and unfortunately, his maturity. Anthony could take a hint. Knox thought he was an annoying kid. Story of his life.

Knox finally walked away, and Anthony got the feeling he got just what he wished for. That was the face of a man who would never want to kiss him ever again.