Ch. 10: Knox's ex-fiancé

Start from the beginning

"Sorry about that," Anthony said. "Who are you?"

"Uh, hi I'm Bernard Khan and I—"

"Bernard?" Anthony gave him another glance. "That's quite the grown-up name."

"I- uh am an adult."

"Uh, huh..." Anthony strung his arm around Bernard's, leading him slowly back down the hall. "You got a nickname?"

"I sometimes get called Bertie."

Anthony snapped a finger gun at him. "Yes, that makes more sense."

"If that's what his highness wishes, I suppose—" Bertie stammered, glancing back to where they came from and then, back to the front. Anthony ignored his panic and continued their leisurely walk.

"What are you doing here, Bertie?"

"Oh! Right. Her Majesty, the Queen hired me to be your attendant."

"Why?"

"Why me or why hire me?"

"The first one seems mean. The second one."

"She thought it'd be nice for you to have some company and help."

"How thoughtful..." Anthony said, but he doesn't know what he did to deserve the help. Glancing at Bertie again, it dawned on him. "Aren't you the one that spilled that gunk on me my first day?"

Bertie's shoulders slumped again. "I was hoping you wouldn't remember that."

The door to Knox's office swung open and Maurice stormed out. Even spotting Anthony, he stormed right by, shoulder checking Anthony as he left. Knox spilled out next with Milan close behind.

"Anthony?" Knox noticed him, his brows popping up his forehead.

"Oh, hello," Anthony said and glanced behind his shoulder. "He seems lovely."

"If he's lovely, I must be poison," Knox grumbled, and Anthony bit down a smile, thinking the true irony that Knox was actually the antidote. Anthony frowned. He was getting stupider. Knox looked right at him like a menace and asked, "What are you up to?"

"You say that like I'm up to something bad. I'm just getting to know my new attendant. Oh, which reminds me, Bertie, would you get the car ready? Knox and I have a date tonight and I'd like to buy something for it."

"Uh, yes, sir," Bertie said, nodding like an excited puppy. "Right away!"

And with that, Bertie scurried away. Once he was out of sight, Knox bumped Anthony's shoulder. "But we don't have a date tonight."

"No, we don't. I'm just testing something. Don't worry."

"Or..." Knox glanced at Milan and motioned his bodyguard away. Milan nodded and created distance but didn't disappear. Knox grabbed Anthony arm and Anthony tried not to make a face. This prince smelled as sweet as ever. Just being near him was going to give him cavities. "Or do we need to have dinner? How are you feeling?"

Anthony picked his hand off. "I'm fine. If I get peckish, you'll be the first to know."

"It's not just about your hunger, Anthony. I'm worried about you changing."

"Me too. I'm perfect the way I am..." Anthony held up his chin and after a beat of silence, he nudged him. "You're supposed to agree with me."

Knox's shoulders jumped when he laughed. "Yes, dear," he said and nudged Anthony right back. Anthony flushed, all his comebacks disappearing right on his lips. Laughing to himself, Knox met back up with Milan and they went on their merrily giggling way. There was only one thing worse than a charming prince, but one that also made jokes.

***

The Lavigne Coven was just as advertised, in a wealthy part of the town chockful of boutiques and restaurants where you needed a reservation. Anthony just sort of wandered, leading Bertie and Milan like he had to walk his pets. He didn't ask or want Milan to join them, but apparently Knox insisted.

Knox also texted:

Knox: Be home before dark.

The curfew was mandatory for everyone. He debated killing time by actually shopping, but Anthony didn't feel like using the black card now knowing his family's debts and using Knox's money just felt like stealing. Instead, he window shopped in silence, wasting time until dinner. He also received a text from Johanna:

Johanna: We're having a family dinner tonight. This is mandatory. There are urgent matters to discuss.

"Just as I expected," Anthony whispered. It was a pretty place, Anthony had to admit. All the buildings looked built from history and stood the test of time. Anthony eventually went to the park and lay in the grass. He thought about texting one of his siblings, but even texting Nino might send him into a fit of worry. Bianca and Dante weren't helpful and Bianca rarely texted back. Mathew was out of the question. Especially, after Anthony's beautiful yet poetic threat.

"Didn't you want to go shopping?" Bertie asked.

"I changed my mind." Anthony didn't break his stride. "I remembered I already have a one-of-a-kind suit at home."

"You do?"

"It's called a birthday suit, Bertie."

Bertie didn't ask another question, but Anthony could swear he heard Milan chuckle. Suddenly, in a better mood, Anthony decided to stop by a bakery. He hoped having a taste of something sweet would curb his craving for Knox's blood. Ben's blood never put him into this much a fit and he was a feast.

The cashier boxed up a few pastries and a slice of cake. "I'll carry it," Bertie offered and gathered up the box. Anthony sighed, letting him do it. Milan opened the door for him and Anthony realized that not only did he have nothing to do but people now surrounded him who wanted him to do even less.

"Milan? Is that you?"

"Oh, no," Milan said under his breath that only Anthony must've heard because when he turned around, the guy waving at them was nothing but smiles.

"I thought that was you," the man smiled. He had dimples for days and pretty little freckles across his cheeks. He had soft copper hair and pinkish pale skin. He wore a somewhat flashy blue coat and striped pants, but everyone looked flashy compared to Anthony, who was bred in black and white suits and business casual obscurity.

Standing out wasn't a good thing in their profession. Even Anthony's curly hair was up for debate with Dante claiming it made him stand out too much. Bianca vetoed in on the grounds that Anthony had a misshapen head from being dropped as a baby and could never shave it.

"How are you?" The smiley man asked, giving Milan a quick hug.

"Good, thank you." Milan stiffly returned it and by the constipated look on his face, Anthony jumped to save him.

"We haven't met," Anthony spoke up and offered his hand. "I'm new in town. New resident, really. Anthony Ventura."

This guy's brows flew up his forehead and he even laughed, but it was too late to take back his hand. "This is perfect," the man said, taking Anthony's hand in a tight shake. "I've been wanting to meet Knox's new fiancé."

"And you are?"

"Flynn," he said, and Anthony recognized the name, but still managed to get the rug pulled out from underneath him. "Knox's ex-fiancé."

Anthony hated not being prepared.

But even worse, he hated having the wrong information.